Best Brew Podcasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like the title says, what are the best podcasts for homebrewers? I'm sure some of them are so popular that they're just considered common knowledge among homebrewers, but what would you recommend to someone who has no knowledge of the homebrew podcast scene.

Podcasts relevant to going pro would be great as well. We all dream, after all. :rockin:

One of these podcast threads should be stickyed

Probably a good idea. Half of my motivation for starting this thread was getting some info on brewing-related podcasts here in the new Homebrew Media subforum. The other half of my motivation is that I personally want some good podcasts to follow. :mug:

So, Homebrew Bound, and...?

There is the brewing network stuff, that is good. Also, there is a Beersmith podcast and Basic Brewing podcast. I like both of those too.

And for a laugh, there is a thread posted the other day of a guy claiming to have one of the most popular podcasts. In not saying to check out his podcast or not, but the responses to his claim are funny to read.

The Session on the Brewer's Network is long, but a good listen. I just started listening to Brew Busters and Drink my Brewcast. Pretty good so far

I have been listening to and watching basicbrewing since before I started brewing.
I very much like the sour hour also.

Does anyone know why the BN podcasts aren't available for many weeks or even months? Surprisingly, there are no comments in their forums about this, but there are maybe a dozen or more video streams available on http://new.livestream.com/thebrewingnetwork that haven't made it to the mp3 archives. I just want to listen, not watch video.

Here is a vote against the Jamil Show.

I'm not criticizing his skill as a brewer or doubting his advice, but the podcast is 95% rambling crap with very little brewing information I want to hear. (If you enjoy listening to his show, fine, I don't)

The amount of information per show is around a single page. I can't stand listening to that show for just that small amount of information.
In general I find many podcasts poorly organized and presented, with little information imparted in a long rambling way.

Does anyone know why the BN podcasts aren't available for many weeks or even months? Surprisingly, there are no comments in their forums about this, but there are maybe a dozen or more video streams available on http://new.livestream.com/thebrewingnetwork that haven't made it to the mp3 archives. I just want to listen, not watch video.

I've noticed that each time they moved the studio, this happens. With the last move and opening The Hop Grenade, it has gotten worse.

Here is a vote against the Jamil Show.

I'm not criticizing his skill as a brewer or doubting his advice, but the podcast is 95% rambling crap with very little brewing information I want to hear. (If you enjoy listening to his show, fine, I don't)

The amount of information per show is around a single page. I can't stand listening to that show for just that small amount of information.
In general I find many podcasts poorly organized and presented, with little information imparted in a long rambling way.

I haven't listened to it - I've downloaded a bunch of Brew Strong episodes and been listening to them when I need something to listen to - but I can believe it. Jamil has some good things to say, but his contributions are low-density - lots of fluff (most of which is him trying - usually unsuccessfully - to be funny) and only the occasional nugget of wisdom. It makes it worse that he tends to play the "but what do I know?" card half the time, because it makes me wonder if I should bother listening to his advice in the first place or if I should just search on the forums. There's some good info in Brew Strong and I'm sure I'm learning from listening to it, but sometimes I wish there were a "cut the crap" button that skipped all of the fluff and just let me listen to the meat of the podcast. I could kill seven years of Brew Strong podcast archives in a weekend if it weren't for all the filler and commercials.

Beyond BBR and the BN already mentioned, I also subscribe to Fuhmentaboutit and Beer Sessions Radio both on the Heritage Radio Network. The latter can be a bit NY heavy in accents, attitude and content for me, so I tend to selectively listen based on the guests. The former is more reliable, but I do bail out of the occasional episode.

I do highly recommend the relatively new Cidercast podcast by Eric West. Episodes are infrequent, but the guests and simplicity of the format are perfect if cider interests you.

I also like Basic Brewing and Beer Smith podcasts, I think they are the most informative and enjoyable
Jamil Show is good but not at the same level

Might just be me but I can not listen to brew podcast's. Love brewing, love learning but jesus christ these things just drone on and on. I listen for about 5min then shut it off.

Fermentation Nation is a homebrew podcast I have been doing for a little over a year now. Each episode trys very hard to be informative (our earlier episodes we were learning) so I certainly hope all of you will enjoy it.

Of particular note we just had TheMadFermentationist on. Give it a listen.

fermentationnation.net

James Spencer has created 450 of his Basic Brewing podcasts. They are very informative, and very easy to listen to.

BTW, I've got an interview with the guy that I'll be posting on the HBT front page Friday (I hope :) )

I might have missed it but did this ever get posted?
Big fan of BBR, sounds like a nice read.

I met passedpawn locally in our Homebrew supply store, really cool dude. I'm looking forward to hearing the podcast you are in... Which episode is it?

Latest posts

Back