Best Book for a Beginner...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhabuddha

Reaction score
I have "the Complete Joy of Homebrewing" -papazian, I read it, I loved it, I felt like it "explained" brewing to me in a way that was very easy to understand. I am trying to tell my buddy about brewing, and he asked about books. I told him about the one I read, but, seeing that I have only read one, I thought I would ask you folks what others you thought would be good for a NOOOOB...

Thanks Folks!

I picked up "Homebrewing for Dummies" at Barnes and Noble. I found it too be a really good book.

For hardcover your Joy of Homebrewing is a great reference book. I'd certainly recommend that to your friend.

Don't reccommend something you haven't read. If you liked the Papazian (I sure did) g'head. Good book.

I liked Papazian when I was just getting started. I found that he made it sound doable...played down the technicalities until after he walked you through your first batch.

Thanks all, I will just recommend the papazian book,
heck at least then if he has questions i might be able to help... just gotta ask him what page..
:p

Buddhabuddha said:
Thanks all, I will just recommend the papazian book,
heck at least then if he has questions i might be able to help... just gotta ask him what page..
:p

Make sure its the FIRST Papazian book. The second, called "Homebrewer's Companion" (or something along those lines) is MUCH more technical. I made the mistake of buying that one first and was lost until I actually started brewing. That one goes deep into water PH and equations and stuff. BORING. :p

One vote here for Palmer's "How To Brew." Reads like a textbook with good pics and explanations that go from very basic to about the intermediate level. I did enjoy Papazian's book a lot too.

How to brew by Palmer
Complete Joy of Homebrewing
Brew Chem 101
Bizarre Brews 101 has a short simple how to brew extract section
basically any and all brewing books on the market.

When did this thread originate?

That's two you resurrected circa 2005 I believe. You also pulled out the Everclear Apple Pie one. I guess I wanted to help a girl out (get trashed). You sir, are research before posting maximized :D

Back then there was probably 30-40 posts total in a 24h period. All those people seem to have moved on for the most part. Starting to feel like the resident historian...

As a beginner, Papazian's book has been a great start. Today I ordered "How to Brew" by Palmer and "Brew Chem 101" by Johnson. Hopefully these two will be as helpful.

Back