Best beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From all of europe? I am forced to disagree with you, although those are good brews I can't agree. In England itself you have Fullers which hands down is better. Then you have the belgians and the trappists. I could go on, and on, but im a little drunk :tank: and my a.d.d. is kickin in...ha :ban:
(no disrespect, ive had both Guinness and Boddingtons and really did enjoy them)

Brewers United said:
The two best beers from Europe is Guiness and Bodingtons.

These two are awsome
Boddingtons wasn't even the best beer in Manchester before the Strangeways Brewery shut down! I doubt it's any better brewed elsewhere by Interbrew.

Brewers United said:
The two best beers from Europe is Guiness and Bodingtons.

These two are awsome
The Best Beer from europe is Belhaven...between the Wee Heavy, the Scottish Ale, the St. Andrew's and the Twisted Thistle...who has a better lineup? :drunk:

Brewers United said:
Well i wanted to start a best beer from Eurome column. Any any one know a good European beer

I heard there's some monks over there somewheres who make some pretty good beer....

Best beers in Europe:
Cantillon - anything made by them
Rodenbach Grand Cru
I could go on with more Belgians, but you get the idea ;)

Me? I like Boddingtons. :D

I saw several Cantillons at my local shop. I bought one, which I haven't tried. Which do you prefer, Janx?

I agree with you, the list could go on...

Mort Subite's Geuze
Orval...Westmalle
La Rulles...

gaelone said:
I saw several Cantillons at my local shop. I bought one, which I haven't tried. Which do you prefer, Janx?

You can't go wrong. They are the most traditional lambic producer left. Their beers are world treasures.

The geuze is excellent. The kriek has a full cherry quality. The framboise (Rose de Gambrinus) is tart and dry. The Vignerrone (muscat grapes) is a real favorite. I like the muscat quality. The Iris is a unique one...a wild beer made with only barley. Sometimes you see the straight unblended lambic which is flat and has lots of complex Brett character...for the true lambic lover.

They have some I haven't had. But you really can't go wrong. They don't make anything sweetened.

And if you're ever in Brussels, it's an amazing place to visit. They're the last lambic brewery in Brussels.

homebrewer_99 said:
IMHO< the best beers from Europe wouldn't even come from Britain...

I would like to invite homebrewer_99 to England,so that i drag his mis-guided,possibly uneducated, need to learn taste-buds on a tour of some of the small countryside pubs and ale-house's of my home county which is oxfordshire(a few of the pubs i have in mind are just outside,but still within a 30 mile radius).
We have many small independant pubs that are supplied by what are termed micro-breweries.Depending on what time of year you frequent these places you will have beers ranging from light hoppy summer beers,to arse kicking winter warmers with a good amount of session beers in between.:ban:

The UK is the world leader in different beer styles...IMHO:mug:

oxford brewer said:

I would like to invite homebrewer_99 to England,so that i drag his mis-guided,possibly uneducated, need to learn taste-buds on a tour of some of the small countryside pubs and ale-house's of my home county which is oxfordshire(a few of the pubs i have in mind are just outside,but still within a 30 mile radius).
We have many small independant pubs that are supplied by what are termed micro-breweries.Depending on what time of year you frequent these places you will have beers ranging from light hoppy summer beers,to arse kicking winter warmers with a good amount of session beers in between.:ban:

The UK is the world leader in different beer styles...IMHO:mug:
HB_99 can defend himself adequately so i won't even try. He's drunk 'more than a few Beers' in his travels so the 'mis-guided,possibly uneducated, need to learn taste-buds' quote is more than a little harsh.

Hey, I really appreciate the invitation, but I'll have to pass.

FWIW, I am NOT your average beer drinker. I don't even drink beer from the major American breweries.

In truth, about 99% of the beer I've consumed since 1975 has been foreign (not American), so I don't think I fall into the misguided and uneducated catagories you've mentioned. Although I praise your zeal.

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I've visited most of the countries in Eastern and Western Europe more than once.

I've been to England several times. I've spent weeks in London and several places outside of town. I have friends in South Yorkshire.

I spent several days in Kilkenny, Ireland, the hometown of my grandmother and sampled all the beers I could locate.

They are all OK beers, but nothing special. Sorry to say, NOT THE BEST!!!

As for different styles of beer, I am pretty certain the Belgium's have everyone beat.

I have been brewing since about 1993. I have 2 First Place prizes for my German-style Hefe Weizen. That was the first homebrew contest I entered.

As for what is THE best beer? The only real answer to that is the one I'm having and the next one!

Cheers, mate!

homebrewer_99 said:
Hey, I really appreiciate the invitation, but I'll have to pass.

FWIW, I am NOT your average beer drinker. I don't even drink beer from the major American breweries.

In truth, about 99% of the beer I've consumed since 1975 has been foreign (not American), so I don't think I fall into the misguided and uneducated catagories you've mentioned. Although I praise your zeal.

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I've visited most of the countries in Eastern and Western Europe more than once.

I've been to England several times. I've spent weeks in London and several places outside of town. I have friends in South Yorkshire.

I spent several days in Kilkenny, Ireland, the hometown of my grandmother and sampled all the beers I could locate.

They are all OK beers, but nothing special. Sorry to say, NOT THE BEST!!!

As for different styles of beer, I am pretty certain the Belgium's have everyone beat.

I have been brewing since about 1993. I have 2 First Place prizes for my German-style Hefe Weizen. That was the first homebrew contest I entered.

As for what is THE best beer? The only real answer to that is the one I'm having and the next one!

Cheers, mate!

Consider myself told:p :p :p

It is all meant in jest;) .......one mans favourite beer is anothers worst.

No problem...:D

Having someone select the BEST of anything is a bit dangerous and definitely biased. What you like may not be what I like and vice versa.

I'm not putting those beers down in the least. I've had them both and many like them.

Some people will brew a batch of something they've never had before based upon someone else's opinion. I can understand their eagerness, but not their logic. I think you should enjoy a beer first then try to duplicate it if that is your intention.

I had 3 homebrews last night - a Ginger Wit, a Hefe Weizen and a Bock. While they were all good brews, I have to admit the BEST one was a Bock (I made it for Lent). I used 10 lbs of malt. It is very tasty and reminded me of a Southern Germany Bock. Very malty, and well balanced leaving just enough sweetness.

I try to duplicate beers from various regions because I can sit back with my eyes closed and kind of re-live the experience of the original and judge the beer on that merit. In essence, one of my goals when brewing is to bring back memories.:D

If I ever get back to England I'll try to arrange to look you up so we can throw back some brews. Cheers!:mug:

gmeyers said:
has anybody had the st peters organic ale. ( comes in an oval green bottle)

ive had all there beers. theyre pretty good, the porter is the best. the organic is alright, im not too keen on english pales, but its decent.

p.s. i LOVE there bottles!

homebrewer_99 said:

Having someone select the BEST of anything is a bit dangerous and definitely biased. What you like may not be what I like and vice versa.

I'm not putting those beers down in the least. I've had them both and many like them.

Some people will brew a batch of something they've never had before based upon someone else's opinion. I can understand their eagerness, but not their logic. I think you should enjoy a beer first then try to duplicate it if that is your intention.

I had 3 homebrews last night - a Ginger Wit, a Hefe Weizen and a Bock. While they were all good brews, I have to admit the BEST one was a Bock (I made it for Lent). I used 10 lbs of malt. It is very tasty and reminded me of a Southern Germany Bock. Very malty, and well balanced leaving just enough sweetness.

I try to duplicate beers from various regions because I can sit back with my eyes closed and kind of re-live the experience of the original and judge the beer on that merit. In essence, one of my goals when brewing is to bring back memories.:D

If I ever get back to England I'll try to arrange to look you up so we can throw back some brews. Cheers!:mug:

I've heard someone, maybe on this forum, say that there is no point in saying In my opinion because that's obvious. If you make a statement and don't cite any sources, then that's obviously what it is. Your opinion.

Not saying your doing that, it's just an interesting view point that I agree with.

Having said that, the best european beers, DO come from England.....in my opinion!

homebrewer_99 said:

I've heard someone, maybe on this forum, say that there is no point in saying In my opinion because that's obvious. If you make a statement and don't cite any sources, then that's obviously what it is. Your opinion.

Not saying your doing that, it's just an interesting view point that I agree with.

Having said that, the best european beers, DO come from England.....in my opinion!

homebrewer_99 said:

Having said that, the best european beers, DO come from England.....in my opinion! I'm really into hoppy, bitter beers right now.

If the Belgiums simply roll open the roof and let their beers get infected by the natural forces, just how much contamination can you get away with? I imagine quite a bit. Considering this method was used for the first few thousand years of brewing, natural fermentation worked out pretty well.

Genghis77 said:
If the Belgiums simply roll open the roof and let their beers get infected by the natural forces, just how much contamination can you get away with? I imagine quite a bit. Considering this method was used for the first few thousand years of brewing, natural fermentation worked out pretty well.
That's true, but the beer didn't taste nearly as good as beer does today.

I don't think anyone of us would recognize beer from 1500 years ago. Many of us would probably not even taste it based upon its smell.:D

Genghis77 said:
Do you mean spontaneous fermentation?

homebrewer_99 said:
That's true, but the beer didn't taste nearly as good as beer does today.

I don't think anyone of us would recognize beer from 1500 years ago. Many of us would probably not even taste it based upon its smell.:D

What is the source of your information i.e., how do you know? Although there is extensive information available that brewing did exist during the medieval and Renaissance periods, there is very little information available to tell us what these beers might have tasted like, or how they were brewed for that matter.

Or are you talking about tasting a beer that is 1500 years old?:D

"the past is a foreign country. They do things differently there." (Hartley)

Do you think if we could go back in time with one of OUR homebrew's that they would like it?

glibbidy said:
What is the source of your information i.e., how do you know? Although there is extensive information available that brewing did exist during the medieval and Renaissance periods, there is very little information available to tell us what these beers might have tasted like, or how they were brewed for that matter...Or are you talking about tasting a beer that is 1500 years old?:D
What I meant was beer that was brewed 1500 years ago, not brewed in the 1500's.

In other words, a beer brewed in the year 506 would not look or taste like any beer we have today. First off, all beer was dark prior to 1842. Second, I believe the first mention of using hops in beer was somewhere in the 700s. Up until then brewers, or should I say "brewsters" (the female brewers - wives) used all sorts of forest plants in their brews, mostly herbs I'd say. I would venture a guess that beer probably tasted a lot like Jagermeister or Underberg. These are made from things that grow in the forests.

As far as recipes are concerned, the first "German" beer recipe was found in Kulmbach in about 800 BC, (Germany) geographically speaking since I don't think the Teutons/Alamani were organizing in that area.

homebrewer_99 said:
What I meant was beer that was brewed 1500 years ago, not brewed in the 1500's.

In other words, a beer brewed in the year 506 would not look or taste like any beer we have today. First off, all beer was dark prior to 1842. Second, I believe the first mention of using hops in beer was somewhere in the 700s. Up until then brewers, or should I say "brewsters" (the female brewers - wives) used all sorts of forest plants in their brews, mostly herbs I'd say. I would venture a guess that beer probably tasted a lot like Jagermeister or Underberg. These are made from things that grow in the forests.

As far as recipes are concerned, the first "German" beer recipe was found in Kulmbach in about 800 BC, (Germany) geographically speaking since I don't think the Teutons/Alamani were organizing in that area.

I hear what you are saying about beer brewed 1500 years ago.
I guess the sumerians don't count then eh? :D
Oh yes and them monks too. So much for everything I have read about monasteries setting brewing standards with scalability of production, better techniques, and better equipment then them alewive types gathering woodruff. :D :D

No, the Sumerians, Babylonians, Eqyptians, etc., count, but I was only going back 1500 years.:D

All the other stuff about the monks, etc., is relatively recent brewing history. A bit past learning about brewing (thousands of years of trial and error) and more at fine tuning (over a couple of hundred years more trial and error, but definitely more trial and success!).:D

This sure sounds like a fun experiment - let's try to recreate beer from different periods in time. I doubt that we'd be able to finish an entire batch if we all tried together, but it might be fun nonetheless. They didn't use hops until the 1700's, so I imagine beer before then must have tasted pretty interesting.

Back