Best beer place in DC/Areundel area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudndeth

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good place to eat and a great selection of beer in the DC Areundel/Ft Meade area . Any help would be awesome.

There are or at least we're 3 dogfish head pubs in the DC area (2 in VA one in MD). They have great food and good beer.

Capital City brewing has a few locations as well. Lots of ethnic food too but if you are looking for beer both of those are good for reasonable prices.

Been 5 years since I lived there so things have probably changed some

Bluejacket Brewery shouldn't be too far. MadFox brewery is on the VA side but still close. Those are jsut a couple off hand.

As far as Anne Arundel/Ft. Meade can't help you too much. But venturing in DC there's a LOT of beer bars, and DC's weird liquor laws allow you go get access to stuff you can't get elsewhere.

As far as beer selections worth mentioning:

-ChurchKey in Logan Circle is one of the best beer bars in the country (ableit pricy), and sister restaurant Birch and Barley with I've never been and is a little hoity toity for my taste but allegedly very good.
-Meridian Pint in Columbia Heights is great.
-Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan
-Pizzeria Paradiso. A few locations, in town, some out of town. Pizza is decent (some like it, some don't, I like it), but the beer selection is awesome.
-Bluejacket in Navy Yard. Decent brewpub. Beer is tasty and they do some unique things. Food is alright.
-Mad Fox Brewing Company across the river in Falls Church. Food is meh, but the beer is absolutely phenomenal.
-Tons of breweries in the area. Right Proper, Atlas, 3 Stars, DC Brau, Port City, and so on.

There's definitely more to the list.

The DFH Alehouses are alright. The food is pricy and the beer isn't brewed on site, but it's typical DFH fare. I'm not thrilled with Capitol City but they're not the worst.

Check out the Biergarten Haus. Authentic German food and authentic German beers on tap. The beers they keep go with the season so expect a lot of bocks and maybe some maibocks if your lucky. Food was awesome and the beer was great

Crownsville (S/E of Ft. Meade): Lures Bar & Grill, 28 craft taps, 2 bars, great food. Probably my favorite place closest to me.

Savage (Mill): fairly close to Ft. Meade, Rams Head Tavern with 12 taps (?) of Fordham/Dominion beer.

Columbia: Frisco's and Columbia Ale House, 50-some taps each. Food at the Ale House is better than Frisco's, but Frisco's is a really cool place to hang out and has great beers.

Guess you don't want to go to downtown Baltimore? Max's is the place (120 taps!), then Ale Wife, and Ale Mary. Many smaller bars.

Denizens brewing in Silver Spring has some very good beers on tap (brewed on premise) - my only compliant is they do not have enough session-able beers. Too many 8%+ beers can get you in trouble, especially since Ft mead is 20 minutes away...

+1 Vote for Columbia Ale House. The food there is really really good IMO and a great selection of beers.

Back