Best All Around Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I've been through two digital thermometers now and I just now realized they aren't waterproof:drunk:. So after doing a search for thermometers I found this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26905. Looks like a good idea to me. I'm going to spend a little more money on more equipment now and don't want to have to do this for a forth time for quite awhile.

I want to know if there is a generally accepted all around best thermometer? Waterproof thermometer that I won't have to do this to? Opinions on more accurate thermometers than others? And why is this not a more common question? I mean isn't this one of the most important parts of mashing and successfully brewing different styles? Even 4 degrees would make a difference from what I've read. It would seem to me that this would be a lot more important detail in technique that affects the final product than whether or not your using a manifold or stainless braid, or whether your batch sparging or fly sparging :) (that should get a response out of someone).

Edit:
Oh and I've already baked the **** out of the two thermometers I've gone through and they are toast.

I use a Taylor 6092 Bimetallic (seen here http://www.taylorusa.com/foodsvc/thermo/bitherm.html)

They're cheap (<$10.00), calibratable, and I've had it for nearly 10 years. It's the same kind I used in my health inspector days. We (health inspectors) used to use the digital ones sometimes and they would always end up crapping out sooner or later. We always came back to the Taylor. I check it for calibration nearly every batch and haven't had to adjust it in years. They're available at a lot of kitchen stores.

I use a Taylor 6092 Bimetallic (seen here http://www.taylorusa.com/foodsvc/thermo/bitherm.html)

They're cheap (<$10.00), calibratable, and I've had it for nearly 10 years. It's the same kind I used in my health inspector days. We (health inspectors) used to use the digital ones sometimes and they would always end up crapping out sooner or later. We always came back to the Taylor. I check it for calibration nearly every batch and haven't had to adjust it in years. They're available at a lot of kitchen stores.

That looks like a good one but I want one on a wire that I can stick down in the mash and drop into sparge water for a quick temp.

This site has excellent thermometers. The "Superfast ThermaPen" works REALLY well for taking spot temps in the mash or HLT (or for determining the doneness of your steak). There are some more complex thermometers for sale there with interchangeable and/or submersible probes. Unfortunately, they're also rather expensive.

There are several brewers that use this one >>> http://www.professionalequipment.co...meter-with-nist-certificate-4039/thermometer/

It works pretty well but it costs a bit more than most.

I have had two. The first one failed within 2 weeks. The quickly shipped me a new one. The second failed about 6 months later, outside the return period, nothing they could do. It seemed that there were some loose wires around the base of the readout. You could twist it just right and it would work for a while. I know Evan! has had great luck with these, and I think they are a great idea but executed very poorly and cheaply.

After that one broke, I bought the 4in waterproof guy from Target. It is dead on (check against the Traceable one) and is cheap enough to replace if it dies.
Very similar to this:
4140R367W0L._SS384_.jpg

I'm so sick of thermomenters it's not even funny...My floating thermometer bit the dust, so did my 12 inch probe thermometer.

The only ones that seem to hold up are those little Taylor dial thermometers with the 5 inch probe...

b_t_pocket_05.jpg

But they're too damn short for my liking (I loved having a 12" probe that I could leave in my kettle all through the brew and the wort chilling phase.

Last week I bought both;
The Tru Temp 3518 Dig. Thermometer
taylor3518Large.jpg

Which I waterproofed as per that great thread. What sucks is that it doesn't have an on/off switch, so I either leave it on all the time (evidently the AAA battery will last a year on) or take the freaking battery out between uses.

and I also bought this,
taylor-9848-pic.jpg

And guess what? Using both of them and one of the dial thermometers as a check shows that the one with the now water proof cable is NOT ACCURATE...My wort was boiling away vigourously and the darn thing was reading between 210 and 211 degrees, while the others were dead on at 212...

I don't want to buy another 12" dial thermometer from the lhbs, since the first one bit the dust, and I've gone to just about every cooking supply store I can find and NONE of them have 12" thermometers....GFS has a nice heavy weight 12" thermometer, but it is a deep fry one, and so it doesn't go LOW ENOUGH....

I'd love to just be able to take the 12" probe off the old thermometer and stick it on one of the dial ones...Has anyone tried that???

10 foot cable! So I can stand across the room and get the temp I guess. I think this one is in the lead so far. I'll wait a little and see if anyone else wants the chime in.
I actually wish it was about 5 or 6 feet. The extra length gets in the way a lot of the time. I actually had one break on me after a year so keep that in mind because if this one goes out I won't get another.

It's nice but not $90 nice. I'd rather get the traceable for $36.

I've been very happy with my traceable. I have had the wire submerged many times, and she's still very accurate.

If I encounter any of the issues outlined here though, not sure if I'd shell out another $40.

It's nice but not $90 nice. I'd rather get the traceable for $36.
Thats why I mentioned a group buy, we could get them for $75!

I know it is expensive but it is the most precise thermometer on the market and it would be the last one you ever buy...assuming you don't drop it in the mash tun or something. I also like the tiny tip it has so you don't gore a bunch of gaping holes in your meat while you are trying to get a temp reading. I don't know about you but mine would be getting used for meats and other cooking uses every day of the week, brewing just makes it double duty. It is also about 6x faster then my current digital thermometer, so less time with lids off/ovens open waiting for the temp to register.

Thats why I mentioned a group buy, we could get them for $75!

I know it is expensive but it is the most precise thermometer on the market and it would be the last one you ever buy...assuming you don't drop it in the mash tun or something. I also like the tiny tip it has so you don't gore a bunch of gaping holes in your meat while you are trying to get a temp reading. I don't know about you but mine would be getting used for meats and other cooking uses every day of the week, brewing just makes it double duty. It is also about 6x faster then my current digital thermometer, so less time with lids off/ovens open waiting for the temp to register.

These have a very small and sharp end on the probe (the one pictured does not have the stepped down sharp probe). I have three for cooking and brewing. They are accurate, fast and cheap enough (12 bucks ebay). The Thermapens look pretty cool though.

B00009WE45.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Yeah, I am not arguing that you can't get a decent thermometer for less money than the thermapens...I have plenty of them. I posted that because the title of the thread was Best All Around Thermometer, not most economical. I am going to try the thermapen next because everyone I have talked to that has them is simply in love with them and doesn't regret spending the money. Plus I am sick of having to buy thermometers every 4 months.

I have two of those Korndog. I mounted one into my mashtun and sealed it.

You can get it from McMaster-Carr for $20.42, #3099K42.

They are really waterproof(submerged in star san solution when checking chilled temp), nice long probe. I love them.

I have two of those Korndog. I mounted one into my mashtun and sealed it.

You can get it from McMaster-Carr for $20.42, #3099K42.

They are really waterproof(submerged in star san solution when checking chilled temp), nice long probe. I love them.

If you already have an order going with Mcmaster, I'd throw it in. Otherwise, target.com for $15.

I posted that because the title of the thread was Best All Around Thermometer, not most economical.

That is correct. I don't mind spending a little more if I can get a thermometer that will last more than 10 brews. That being said, I don't think I could get away with spending $500.

+1 Thermapen...use it religiously for cooking, grilling, etc. Haven't use it for brewing other than for calibration. Worth every penny of the $100 or what ever they are now...

OK I have checked the the links you guys have posted. those are all nice. what I'm looking for is a short probe, 1/2" npt, back mount that is calibratable and wont cost me 70 bucks. I have a long stem one for my HLT just need a short stem for my MLT. any suggestions?

OK I have checked the the links you guys have posted. those are all nice. what I'm looking for is a short probe, 1/2" npt, back mount that is calibratable and wont cost me 70 bucks. I have a long stem one for my HLT just need a short stem for my MLT. any suggestions?

The 7th one down on THIS LINK
Thats the one I have and it works great.

Ah the Blichmann. That is awesome. I use it for heating sparge water (I keep the dial face as a reference). Highly recommend it.

Back