Best 10 gallon brew pot and gas burner to get

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPW

Reaction score
I am making the move to BIAB from extract brewing and am looking for the best 10 gallon brew pot and burner to purchase. I'd like a pot with a thermometer and spigot that has gallon marks etched into it. I've seen a lot out there, but don't know which one will heat evenly and hold up the best. Also, what is the best propane burner out there.? How many BTU's should I really need for a 5 gallon batch? I've also read where some say that a 10 psi regulator is enough and others who say nothing under 20 psi is acceptable. Help me sift through everything!

Get the Blichmann burner. Without a doubt the best. Even for 5 gallon batches it is worth the extra cash. Heats fast and efficiently which you will appreciate no matter what size batch you make.

On Pots.... Whatever suits your fancy. All good SS brew pots should heat evenly and hold up well if you treat them well. I personally just use a big Aluminum pot with no etching or spigots or anything. It is cheap and indestructible. One thing to consider if you are going to do BIAB, the fittings and probes can create snag points for your bag. I know there are many who get around this, but it is something to consider.

I have the SS Brewtech BME 10 gallon kettle... it's great for BIAB because it actually has 12 gallon capacity. It is also nice having the 3 welded ports so you can recirculate, whirlpool, have temp probe, or whatever else you need. The only "snag point" is the thermometer. I don't use it for BIAB and just place a cap on the TC port. It is a fantastic kettle.

I have the Edelmetal Bru Burner from Northern Brewer. I like the legs on it so the kettle isn't so low. I also converted it to natural gas which is nice if you have the hookups.

I have a keggle (15g converted keg) that I am happy with, along with an Anvil burner. There are different kinds of burners (high pressure and low pressure), but I don't know enough about the difference to provide decent commentary. I like the Anvil burner a lot better than my Bayou Classic, and both are a ton better than my original (and thrown away) turkey fryer burner.

I think a 15g pot is a good investment. In reality, a 5g corny keg is really ~5.5g net to fermentor (after trub loss), which is really 6g final boil volume, which is 7g+ initial boil volume . . .I am for 6g net to fermentor as a general rule.

I think the best 10 gallon kettle is 15 gallons. Seriously, if you can swing the extra few bucks the added space will keep you from worrying about boil-overs on typical 5 gallon batches. And if you intend to brew 10 gallon batches you're still covered.
Agree on the Blichmann burners, fast and quiet.

I went with a 15gal kettle for the 5gal batches I normally brew. The extra head space has been a blessing, I've never had to worry about a boilover. If I want to do larger batches I'm set.

I'll chime in on the bigger is better bandwagon. I replaced my very nice 10 gal tri-clad SS kettle with a 20 gal Kegco because the 10 was too small and I love it! I got a smokin deal on the Kegco but it came with volume marks, lid hangs on the handle, thermometer and 3 piece ball valve. I replaced the thermometer with a short thermowell so I can use my digital probe and it doesn't snag on the bag. I love my Bayou Classic KAB6 and you can usually find warehouse deals on Amazon, but I switched to a 3500w induction cooktop like the Avantco and could not be happier [emoji482]

In case you meant "Best on a Budget," Northern Brewer has the 15 gal Tall Boy on sale for $112. That's a great deal. I have the 10 gal and really like it. Tri clad bottom, strong handles.

I think spike and brewbuilt are making the best kettles out there, but I'm partial to welded fittings. I have a brewbuilt and it's the best bang for your buck unless you go weldless (not sure why anyone would unless you're home modding a kettle you already have).

The Bayou classic KAB4 rocks. Great power, much cheaper than the usual suspects but equivalent performance. There're burners with more bling if you want to spend more, but the BC more burner than you need. There is a stainless version too.

Do you ever anticipate making 10 gallon batches in the future? If so get a 15 gallon pot.

Definitely...

I'd say skip the bling. You don't want to snag yer bag on anything inside the pot. I bought a used Concord that had a ball valve installed. I almost ripped the grain bag while I was hoisting it out of the kettle. I also use an aluminum 7.5 gal for smaller test batches.

I am thankful I didn't blow the big bucks on a fancy kettle. Not that they aren't worth it just that I was able to put those dollars to better use on other equipment and ingredients (and I can look my children in the eyes while they help me brew and know I didn't put brewing before them).

So much great equipment out there. Whatever you decide on just make sure you are at peace and happy with your decision. If you're at peace then you'll have more fun brewing and that's what it's all about.

Back