berries in the kettle. big mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
I brewed a berry saison on Sunday.

This is both my first saison and first fruit beer, so I'm not 100% what to expect with either. I had read that if you put the fruit in the kettle or in the primary, you will get a "hint" of the fruit, as a lot of it would ferment out and, if you really want the fruit to come through, put it in the secondary. I decided to split the difference; I'm putting a pound of raspberries in the secondary, when I rack it over, but decided to do a pound of blackberries with the primary.

That being said, I added that blackberries with 5 minutes left in the boil and, as I'm watching them float in the bubbly wort... too late to change my mind, I remember something I read on a cider forum, once, and that was not to cook the cider or you would set the pectins and make the cider very cloudy.

So, my first of two questions is, did I screw up by adding them to the boil, instead of just adding them to the fermenter? I don't mind cloudy beer, but I don't want opaque beer, either. Thoughts?

My second question is, since I'm racking onto raspberries in the secondary and expect fermentation to pick back up again, would I need to rack to a tertiary to clarify, or just let it settle out in the secondary?

Any thoughts/help is appreciated. Thanks! :mug:

If you're concerned about pectins, you can add pectinase. If you can cold crash it, you don't need to rack it, but you certainly can.

Latest posts

Back