Berliner wiess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buntung483

Reaction score
Hi guys

Yesterday I brewed a all grain Berliner wiess as per brewing classic styles. I used dried yeast danstar ale yeast rehydrated because lhbs had no wyeast left and also a pack of wyeast lactobacillus. This is for a 5 gal batch of 1.029 worti

It has been 24 hours and there is virtually no activity apart from a bubble every 2 min. I have the temp controller set to 67. Is there a slower growth when the two cultures are used together. This is my first Berliner wiesse

Any thoughts from others would be great

Josh

The sach should be moving fairly quickly. If it doesn't, I would assume that the Lacto would take over and eat up a lot of the sugar (Quicker sour character).

However, you can't use the airlock as an indicator of whether or not the fermentation is going well. I'd suggest waiting a week and then take a hydrometer sample. If your gravity hasn't dropped, you probably need to take another step to finish this.

By the way, did you attempt a sour mash? Or did you just brew and pitch the yeast/bacteria at the same time?

No sour mash with this one. Being my first berliner I thought I'd keep my process to what I know only is im bit used to dry yeast and have not used danstar befite

Looks like I was just impatient. It is now bubbling away quite well.

Can you tell me anything about how long this may take. Should I treat it the same as I do my other beers or will this need extended time to sour. Or will it sour more in the bottle

I don't have much experience with lacto post sach fermentation. I use a sour mash to sour before heading into the fermenter. So, I use the normal session ale schedule (About 10-14 days). At that point I bottle/keg.

For your situation, I'd give the lacto as much time as it needs and check in every 2 weeks or so. When you check on it, check for:
1. Sample taste for perceived sourness
2. PH level if you have a way to measure PH

I'm assuming you'll need at least 1-2 more months in the fermenter with the lacto (But I could be wrong).

Back