Benefits of a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
I'm just curious about the benefits of using a yeast starter vs. pitching a liquid yeast directly into your wort. On my first batch I didn't make a starter (I think I will this time around) and visible fermentation was a little slow to start, probably took about 36 hours, but the beer seems to have turned out fine. So what's so great about a starter?

Mainly to increase the number of yeast cells, as I understand. I've noticed a huge difference in fermentation with starters. Check out Mr. Malty (Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator) to approximate the starter amount you need for the style you're brewing.

Higher yeast cell count, fewer byproducts (read: off-flavors) from the reproduction stage, and you pitch while the yeast are at their most active so the fermentation begins more quickly.

Much of the time the beer will turn out fine without it, but I look at as an insurance policy - it can only increase your chances of having a successful and complete fermentation and it's not difficult, so why not? You have no control over how the yeast package was handled and stored before you bought it - making a starter pretty much negates that variable and returns it to your control. A well-started yeast colony can also help overcome other potential deficiencies in your process, like less-than-ideal aeration.

Back