American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on exact mash temps and actual attenuation from the yeast. I wouldn't be concerned about an FG of 1.014

Did this with Mangrove Jack West Coast for the first time and kegged yesterday, down to 1.008 and tasting real nice. On 2 oz dryhop in the keg now. Looking forward to it.

Got the first taste of my new Two Hearted type Centennial beer last night.
Went really heavy on the late hops. Not exactly Two Hearted, but yummy.

Calling it . . . drum roll . . .

2¢ IPA

Get it? Two Hearted + Centennial =
Yeah, prettly lame! :cross:
(probably not even original)

A FG of 1.014 seems a little high. I might be off base on this one, but shouldn't it be a little closer to 1.010? I've bottled at similar gravities, and had gushers 2 months later because the yeast wasn't quite done feasting.

well, she's done.....still @ 1.014. Going to bottle this on Saturday. Will start my cold crash on Wednesday morning. This will free up my one and only SS conical fermenter, so I can brew up another enohcs American IPA recipe on Sunday.

I experimented with using US-05 and the Bell's yeast together. After several days of sampling and comparing side by side a THA, mine is much more sharp bitter and alot more of a clean finish than the Bell's. Think the US-05 might have gotten the edge on the Bell's yeast. Still a very good IPA. I also think mine is close to being a Imperial. It gives me a head rush alot faster than the THA.

photobucket-9176-1396720926421_zpsc4d28123.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I experimented with using US-05 and the Bell's yeast together. After several days of sampling and comparing side by side a THA, mine is much more sharp bitter and alot more of a clean finish than the Bell's. Think the US-05 might have gotten the edge on the Bell's yeast. Still a very good IPA. I also think mine is close to being a Imperial. It gives me a head rush alot faster than the THA.

photobucket-9176-1396720926421_zpsc4d28123.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just dry hopped and tasted mine. Very dry and bitter like I like it. US-05 took my gravity down from 1.06 to 1.005. This is an awesome IPA recipe.

photo-1.jpg

Just dry hopped and tasted mine. Very dry and bitter like I like it. US-05 took my gravity down from 1.06 to 1.005. This is an awesome IPA recipe.

Thanks for sharing, this is on my short list here this spring, I just got to free up a fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This has become one of my favorite recipes. I tweak it a little here and there. Add more Vienna or mix the hop varieties.

I just transferred my 3rd attempt at a clone of bells 2 hearted over yesterday and I think i finally got it spot on!! Very excited about this one!! Grain bill is pretty similar to this one.. I think the important thing here is to clone their yeast from the bottle.. I've tried with both Irish and WLP001 and couldn't get it quite right.. This time I cultured the yeast from a 6 pack of two hearted and it is spot on... What a great beer this is and I'm very happy to have finally figured it out.....
How do you suggest that I clone the yeast from a bottle? Seems like a dumb question, because I know a bit about cloning....but since you have worked to get it right, I would appreciate your guidance. I have a six-pack waiting for your answer...But don't wait too long, as I might have to drink it.

OK, I was introduced to this beer last year and find myself driving 4 hours away to of all places Alabama (Go Vols) so I can buy it.
I have decided to make this my first all grain but after reading 30 pages in this thread I got really confused (dont worry it happens often). Can anyone tell me if the first post is still the best recipe and if there is a Yeast that I can buy (not culture myself) that would work for this?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the first post is not the best recipe anymore but should make a really good beer anyway. The bells yeast is not available at this time so a lot of people use the american Ale strain because it's neutral. Your question made me curious how this beer would be using the yeast from heady topper which is recently available. I think that would make a fantastic beer and it's going on my list now. It's called Vermont ale yeast. Just don't let the temp go above 68 for the first few days of fermentation.

Thanks!
Do you know of a better recipe off hand?
Sounds like I will be waiting a few months to brew with that yeast. No way I can keep it at 68 in my house during the summer! :)

I'm pretty sure the first post is not the best recipe anymore but should make a really good beer anyway. The bells yeast is not available at this time so a lot of people use the american Ale strain because it's neutral. Your question made me curious how this beer would be using the yeast from heady topper which is recently available. I think that would make a fantastic beer and it's going on my list now. It's called Vermont ale yeast. Just don't let the temp go above 68 for the first few days of fermentation.

I've read thru most of this thread over time and I'm wondering where the recipes are that would be better than the OP for a true 'clone' of Two Hearted?

There are other variations of the OP's recipe throughout this thread that include different hop additions that might indeed be 'better' based on someone's opinion, but to be a true 'clone' of this beer, you need to have all Centennial Hops which is what the OP's recipe is.

I don't know what recipe you've found in this thread that you are using that you think is better, but I've had the OP's recipe in my regular rotation for a couple of years now and it is not only one of my favorites that I brew, but also one of the favorites among my friends... :mug:

Can anyone tell me if the first post is still the best recipe and if there is a Yeast that I can buy (not culture myself) that would work for this?
Thanks!

As I stated above, the OP's recipe has been in my regular rotation for almost 3 years now. :mug:

When I first started brewing this, I tried using only Bells yeast that I harvested from their Amber Ale.

But, I kept reading more and more about how close Wyeast 1272 was to Bells yeast that I finally just tried it. And I have to say, I'm glad I did as it is much less of a PITA to buy 1272 than it is to harvest yeast from a sixer of Bells Amber Ale nd the noticeable results, if any are negligible at most... :mug:

As I stated above, the OP's recipe has been in my regular rotation for almost 3 years now. :mug:

When I first started brewing this, I tried using only Bells yeast that I harvested from their Amber Ale.

But, I kept reading more and more about how close Wyeast 1272 was to Bells yeast that I finally just tried it. And I have to say, I'm glad I did as it is much less of a PITA to buy 1272 than it is to harvest yeast from a sixer of Bells Amber Ale nd the noticeable results, if any are negligible at most... :mug:

Thanks MMJfan!
Does the Wyeast 1272 need to ferment at 65 as the OP instructions state?
and I know there are no stupid questions....only stupid people who ask questions, but if it does need to be at 65 how does one do that if their house is about 78 (I can get it down to 74 where I store it) in the summer and they don't have a kegorator?

Thanks MMJfan!
and I know there are no stupid questions....only stupid people who ask questions, but if it does need to be at 65 how does one do that if their house is about 78 (I can get it down to 74 where I store it) in the summer and they don't have a kegorator?

search for "swamp cooler"

Thanks MMJfan!

I would try to get it as close to 65F as you could.

As for how, srice put you on the right track... :mug:

I brewed this a year or so ago and it was great! I brewed it again a couple of weeks ago with some dark grains added to make it a black ips. Black Bells 2 Hearted!

I brewed this a few months back, but I used Marris Otter as that was the only base grain I had on hand. It was no two hearted, but it is very tasty, and the IPA heads in the family said I shouldn't change a thing.

I'm about to brew this IPA, yet I only have half package of notty yeast (aiming for a 5.5 gallon batch), could I just pitch it after using the starter or would the yeast die before finish fermentation?

My LHBS is quite far from me and they take some time to do deliveries.

I have brewed this recipe a few times and love it. I have also brewed other Two-Hearted Clones (no Vienna). It seems that the key is 20-L crystal and very good attenuation. I usually finish about .008, without simple sugar.

In any event, I just stumbled across a Zymurgy recipe from Bell's where the grain bill is 10 lbs 2-row, 2.83 pale male (3.5 L) and 8 oz 40-L crystal.

Anyone try brewing that particular clone version?

I have my second batch of the Zymurgy recipe bubbling away as we speak. The first batch was very well recieved and didn't last long. I used 7 lbs 2 row and 6 lbs M.O. as it was what I had available and I wanted a bit more malt backbone. I will be dry hopping my current one with 2oz. Centennial (home grown) and 2 oz. Amarillo whole hops.

I might have to try this recipe in the future, but now Rahahb has me wanting to Blacken my current recipe. I am curious how that turned out, any reviews?

I brewed this a year or so ago and it was great! I brewed it again a couple of weeks ago with some dark grains added to make it a black ips. Black Bells 2 Hearted!

Brewed this one up according to OP's recipe with the exception that I used WL California V yeast (didn't have any S-04 at the time). I have brewed other 2 Hearted clones, and I have to say this one is definitely the closest to the real deal! Next time I'm going to try it out with my freshly picked leaf hops. Thanks for the recipe!

Question for anyone. I have a surplus of pale ale malt and would like to use that as a base. If I used that how could I change the rest of the recipe to accommodate. Thanks

Question for anyone. I have a surplus of pale ale malt and would like to use that as a base. If I used that how could I change the rest of the recipe to accommodate. Thanks

I think the pale ale malt is slightly more flavorful than regular pale 2-row (at least Briess is). It's also marginally darker. I would just brew it with the pale ale malt personally and not make any changes.

If you are inclined to make changes though, I'd drop some Vienna malt to account for the increase in flavor and color, replacing whatever is removed with the pale ale malt. Maybe in the range of 4-8 oz for the first recipe? This is going off the recipe in the first post (is that even the most current one?)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi I'm currently suffering a wife-imposed hop purchasing ban, until I clear out some hops :mad:

I have the following in the freezer, which would be best? Citra, galaxy, simcoe, nelson.

Thanks!

Hi I'm currently suffering a wife-imposed hop purchasing ban, until I clear out some hops :mad:

I have the following in the freezer, which would be best? Citra, galaxy, simcoe, nelson.

Thanks!

I'd say get your own freezer just for hops.

Any one of those hops will make a great ipa. It won't be a two hearted clone. But will make a great beer regardless.

Any one of those hops will make a great ipa. It won't be a two hearted clone. But will make a great beer regardless.

thanks, I'm hoping the Zombie Dust clone will make her realise we NEED more hops ASAP :rockin:

Thanks!

I'm not a huge Citra or simcoe single hop fan personally so I would go Galaxy or Nelson. Just my opinion though.

I don't think it's about the space as much as the cost (that would be my restriction if one were imposed).

Thanks!

50/50 Galaxy/nelson is awesome

I used a generic pale ale/IPA extract recipe that sounded good and used all Centennial adjusted for the gravity/IBU ratio. So I didn't follow the recipe exactly. This is an untested recipe for me but here's what I used:

Steep:
8 oz C-10
8 oz Victory
8 oz flaked wheat

Boil:
7 lb pale LME
1 lb corn sugar

Hops:
All centennial, 1.25 oz bittering at 30 min and late additions of 1 oz each at 10 min, 0 min and steeping during wort cooling.

40 seconds on oxygen stone and chilled to 60 in swamp cooler.

Yeast: Safale US-05

How did the brew turn out hio? I got everything I need for this one for a six gallon batch and will be brewing it next week. Super excited to try out my first harvested yeast from a six pack of dregs I stepped up from their amber ale. It's finishing out its last step up as we speak on my brand new ginormous 5000ml flask. I wish I knew how much good yeast I have in there though to know what I'm pitching....anyone got any experience with that on this brew?

Back