Bells Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billted

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Bells Amber clone (extract/steeping)? Or a great malty amber ale thats similar?

Although the color's not right, this simple beer tastes really really close to bell's.

Grain Bill
1.5 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60l
6 lbs. Amber Dme.

Steep of Crystal 60
3 gallons steep to 165 deg for 30 minutes. rinse with quart of warm water. Add approx 2 pnds. DME. Bring to boil. 2 ounces hops at 60. Remaining DME @ 20. Moss at 15. 1 oz. Hops at flameout.

Boil & Hops
2.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees. Add water to fermenter to target O.G. (1.062) or 5 gallons.

Pitch with US 05

(If you harvest some Bell's yeast and use that instead, you'll get even closer.)

I have one that I put together. I used some info from Bell's. They call for 5.7% ABV. 16 SRM and aroind 30 IBU using Cascade a Fuggles equal amounts.

I do partial boil. 2.75 gallon.

Steep. 12 oz Caramel 40 and 12oz Caramel 80 at 150 for 30 minutes

Bring to a boil and add 3 lb Light DME and 1 oz Centenial
At 20 minutes add 2 1/2 Lb Light DME
At 15 add 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Fuggle
At 5 minutes add 1/2 oz Cascade and 1/2 oz Fuggle
At flameout add 1/2 oz Cascade and 1/2 oz Fuggle.

Cool and add water to make 5 gallon and pitch US-05

Ferment at. 65ish
3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottles.

I used to drink a lot of Bell's Amber when I lived in Michigan but have not lived ther for a long time. I don't claim it to be a perfect match but I have brewed it 3 times and really like this one.

Back