belgium trippel ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradfordmon

Reaction score
think my trippel is either trying to carbonate itself or it is still fermenting or both(same thing?)? Day 11 in the secondary carboy and I am still getting a lot of bubbly activity

Just wait. Some of the Belgian yeasts do take some time to finish up and drop the last few gravity points.

Following the recipe I had, it was in primary for one week and it looked normal when I racked to secondary. I used white labs Trappist/abbey ale yeast. It was when I racked to secondary that all the bubbling began. Seems like you guys are right and I just need to let it sit for a while longer. I m not touching it until the activity stops!

Next time I would leave a tripel in primary for 3-4 weeks. It's a big beer and it would benefit sitting on primary yeast for longer. It's not surprising that it's still fermenting some tougher sugars in the secondary while doing some clean up at the same time. I would leave it there for at least a month total, maybe 6-7 weeks.

Many of the recipes out there recommend racking to secondary after 4-7 days. My first brew which was an Amber, I racked after 4 days. Ever since I've moved to much longer primaries and every one has been better.

My first batch was a Belgian Trippel and I ended up racking it off to a tertiary carboy to let is clarify a bit (2 weeks) before bottling day. It came out so nice!

Consider the tertiary...

I did a tripel, and after 3 weeks I drew a pint out with a wine thief. Im guessing it was about 1.5 volumes of latent carbonation. Its just there after such a large fermentation...

My brew club (3 of us..) is brewing a tripel now. Brewed on 9/11.

It was in primary for 2 weeks and then transferred to a glass carboy where it will sit until two weeks before Christmas for bottling. Basically 3 months from flameout to bottling.

Tripels can take a while as we have come to understand.

DonnieZ said:
My brew club (3 of us..) is brewing a tripel now. Brewed on 9/11.

It was in primary for 2 weeks and then transferred to a glass carboy where it will sit until two weeks before Christmas for bottling. Basically 3 months from flameout to bottling.

Tripels can take a while as we have come to understand.

Make sure to pitch a little fresh high alcohol tolerant yeast such as champagne when you bottle... I have one that I bulk aged for 3 months, bottled it 2 months ago and its not even remotely carbonated. Those long fermentations and high alcohol are really hard on the yeasties

Back