Belgium Blonde w/ Coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootney

Reaction score
I plan on brewing the above beer and the recipe calls for one ounce of uncrushed coriander at flameout. This will be my 1st experience with this beer and I would like some opinions on this addition.

After reading through multiple threads I've seen coriander used crushed and uncrushed, boiled for 15 minutes to dry addition, and one teaspoon to one ounce. So if any of you out there have had good results using coriander with a Belgium Blonde let me know how you went about using coriander. Thanks in advance.

I have used it in both of my Belgium Ales. Neither were blonds, but I liked the spicy note they bring to the beer. Enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. So how much did you use for a five gallon batch and when was your addition to the batch.

I think you're supposed to crack the seeds a bit before adding them, like mentioned above. I too put them in a coffee grinder and gave them a little grind (not powder) so the wort can really extract the flavors.

I had a wheat beer with coriander recently, had to dump it out. I guess I am not a fan of that flavor, because I almost barfed. Strange how people's preference for different flavors can vary so much! Definitely try a beer with it first to see if you like it.

That wheat beer you just tried, do you know the way the coriander was added? I'm trying to find what works best for other brewers on here in terms of amount, crushed/uncrushed, and time of addition of the coriander.

Yeah, I always crush / crack it. Gotta get at the good stuff inside.
That said; brewing partner on the weekend added some uncrushed. Forgot to ask him if he just forgot, or was going uncrushed as per a recipe.

jfriah, if you get a chance to talk to your buddy let me know the reason for going uncrushed because that's what my recipe calls for.

Basically from what I've read crushing the grain increases the surface area thus increasing the flavor. My recipe calls for uncrushed and the purpose of that is to balance the flavor.

Go with what the recipe calls for. If you think it could use more coriander, then try crushing it next time around. If it's still not enough, add a second ounce the next time you brew. It's all trial and error.

I used two ounces (or tbs?...don't remember) last time and to me, it's a little too coriander heavy.

Thanks for the advice. This is just one of those additions that is purely personal preference and I'll error on the side of caution and stick with the recipe and adjust accordingly for future batches. Thanks.

Start with 1/2oz boiled for 10min inside a muslin bag, then decide if you like the taste and adjust for future batches.
I add 1/2oz to 1/4oz to a ziplock bag then crack the seeds with a piece of wood or pasta roller, not much, just to crack the seeds in half or quarters, then into the muslin bag.

Shep, it's all good.

Well I ended up using 1 oz uncrushed at 5 minutes in the boil(what the recipe called for) and I must say the beer turned out excellent. I don't use the term lightly because my first 3 batches were nothing to write home about. I do feel that I could push the envelope even further so I'll try crushing them next time and perhaps extending the boil time. Thanks for the input everyone.

Shep, it's all good.

Well I ended up using 1 oz uncrushed at 5 minutes in the boil(what the recipe called for) and I must say the beer turned out excellent. I don't use the term lightly because my first 3 batches were nothing to write home about. I do feel that I could push the envelope even further so I'll try crushing them next time and perhaps extending the boil time. Thanks for the input everyone.

How would you describe the flavor? i have heard spicy and have heard citrus. I would like to add some to a wheat if it adds a citrus flavor but not sure about spicy. Wondering your take. Thanks!

maxamuus,

To be honest, in my opinion, the yeast had as much to do with the flavor as the coriander did. I used Wyeast #3864 Canadian/Belgian Ale which was a special reserve for this past quarter. I made a starter with it and the starter tasted good without the coriander addition. The finished product does have a slightly spicer note to it(hard to describe) but with the 1 ounce uncrushed at five minutes the difference is only slightly. I just brewed up a Biere De Garde using Wyeast #3522 Belgian Ardennes, and the starter for this batch tasted similar to the Wyeast #3864 in my opinion with perhaps a more banana flavor to it. I did ferment the starter in the low 80's because that is the temp the finished product was going to be at. From what I've read the higher temps will bring out that type of flavor. I got of topic somewhat but this latest batch I did crush the coriander and used .5 oz for a 5 minute boil. I'd like to use this batch for comparison but I did use crushed black peppercorns, fresh ginger, and star anise with the same batch. Either way though, I would not hesitate one second to add 1 ounce of uncrushed coriander for 5 minutes to the boil for a Belgian Ale.

my blue moon clone recipie has corriander(an ounce i think..the recipie isnt in front of me) but it gives a great spicy note to the beer.

I plan on brewing the above beer and the recipe calls for one ounce of uncrushed coriander at flameout. This will be my 1st experience with this beer and I would like some opinions on this addition.

How many Belgian Blonds have you tasted alot of coriander? Ever try Saxo http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/753/2585 it has to be one of the best BBlonds and it has coriander, yet its just a hint in the background like all spices should be done.

Try 14grams crushed at 2-5mins and see if your tastebuds/nose can detect any of the coriander.

I'm a big fan of letting the yeast do 90% of the spice work, "let the yeast do the talking.."
:mug:

----------------------
heres a list of Blonds to sample
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/whats-your-favorite-blonde-178869/index4.html#post2125894

I think the folks who make beer recipes that say uncrushed spices have prolly never set foot in the kitchen in their lives.

Just like in cooking, doing things like dry-roasting spices, rubbing dry green herbs and cracking/crushing seed based spices all help to release the essential oils from them. And give you more bang for the buck.

I use a mortar and pestle for the grains of paradiis along with the coriander seeds for my wits. The smell was amazing.

Back