Belgian Witbier - Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit 2 months ago with good success. However, it ended up being a session - 3.7% abv.
4# Flaked Wheat
4# Pilsner
1.5# Red Wheat
0.5# Flaked Oats

Beersmith predicted 1.050 OG, but I got 1.040. Not the end of the world, as it tasted great and was super crushable. My conclusion is the Pils malt didn't have enough DP to convert the Flaked Wheat. Am I crazy?

I'm looking to make my next version a bit closer to 5%. Maybe even 5.5%. I ended up changing the grist to:
4# Pilsner
3# White Wheat
2# Red Wheat
1# Flaked Wheat

Beersmith is predicting 1.050. Problem is I bought Briess Raw White Wheat, instead of regular malted White Wheat. Beersmith doesn't have Raw White Wheat in the database. Everywhere I read says that Raw White Wheat doesn't have the enzymes for conversion, and I need to do a cereal mash. The Raw White Wheat looks exactly like regular White Wheat, just a bit lighter in color: Briess Raw White Wheat | MoreBeer

I have plenty of Flaked Wheat to substitute if need be, but I do not want another session Wit. Should I go with:

4# Pilsner
4# Flaked Wheat
2# Red Wheat?

Thoughts?

My first thought is you may need to adjust your numbers in BS. Is your profile dialed in with your water amounts?

Also, did you do any water additions?

How was the crush of the pils?

Your original recipe looks solid...I'm wondering why the efficiency was so low.

My first thought is you may need to adjust your numbers in BS. Is your profile dialed in with your water amounts?

Also, did you do any water additions?

How was the crush of the pils?

Your original recipe looks solid...I'm wondering why the efficiency was so low.
My profile is dialed in perfectly. Been at it for about 4 years now, and I know my system quite well. My OGs are always on point. Volumes were on point. I was shocked at the low OG. Water profile: 51 Ca 6 Mg 7 Na 54 SO4 70 Cl 15 HCO3. Nothing crazy imo. Crush was my usual. 0.20 double crush....

Hmm, well I am stumped to be perfectly honest with you. With bad efficiency the first culprits as you know are crush and then water...I assume by the double crush you're doing BIAB...did you buy the grains from a HBS or you buying in bulk?

Could be an old batch of grain.

Hmm, well I am stumped to be perfectly honest with you. With bad efficiency the first culprits as you know are crush and then water...I assume by the double crush you're doing BIAB...did you buy the grains from a HBS or you buying in bulk?

Could be an old batch of grain.
Yup. Definitely double crush. Even when the first crush is dust. I get my stuff from morebeer, NB and a local HB store. I've gotten shoddy ingredients from all of them. The only grain that's ever looked bad for me was a batch of Flaked Oats. They were purple. Tossed em.

Latest posts

Back