Belgian Wit Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brewing a belgian wit (4th batch and starting to get the hang of it). It's the first time I'm trying to control temperatures with a swamp cooler. It works well actually.

My question is... with a Belgian yeast everyone says warmer temperatures are okay. What is a good range of warmer temps? And when to place in the cooler (right when you pitch or once the fermenting really gets going)?

For example, I pitched with WLP 400 at 74, the krausen was just beginning about 12 hours later. I then placed it in the swamp cooler and have been keeping it 68-70. Is this appropriate? I see everyone else fermenting closer to 62-65.

Thanks for the advice.
-Tim

Sounds just about perfect to me. You could probably be OK a little higher even, but 68-70 sounds like exactly what I'd do.

Sounds just about perfect to me. You could probably be OK a little higher even, but 68-70 sounds like exactly what I'd do.

Great thanks guys. The ferment is starting to slow down, will probably take it out of the swamp cooler over the weekend and sit at room temp (~74) for the remainder of the ferment.

I just brewed a belgian wit with WLP 400. Its been in the bottles alitte over a week. I fermented at a constant 64 for the whole fermentation. Cracked one open yesterday. Nicely carbed. Taste like a hefeweizen lol. Very nice light clove flavor. So thats what you'll get if you ferment too cold lol. Taste Awsome for a hefe. Not what I was going for but I happy with what I got

Back