Belgian wit hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
i am brewing a belgian wit clean up brew. i need help figuring out which of my remaining hops would be best for bittering. this is what i got:

1 oz willamette
1 oz citra
2 oz warrior

thanks to those who help and have already helped.

I just brewed a wit with 1 oz east Kent holdings @ 60 mins. And that's it. I don't think u want.ur wit very hoppy, at least from what I've read. I've seen recipes call.for willamette

NOT the Warriors. Belgian Wit's should have a more floral, less bitter hoppiness, and even then it should be a bit mild, since the real star of the show should be the malt and yeast character. I'd go with the Citras for bittering and the Willamettes (my fav) for aroma.

so far great input, thanks. what effect will the citra at 60 have on a beer? i have never used them for anything but flavor and aroma. i was thinking .75 oz of either willamette or citra at 60 and either .25 oz or .5 oz of the other at 5 mins. ideas on this? which one at what time?

do not use citra for bittering - a complete waste (see below).

the closest thing to tradition you could do here is use the williamette @ 60 mins to achieve 20 IBU. witbier traditionally have neither flavor nor aroma additions.

personally, i would use the warrior for bittering (you won't need much, probably less than half an oz) and then use a little citra for flavoring and aroma: 0.2-0.25 at 10 mins and the same amount at 1 min/flamout.

NOT the Warriors. Belgian Wit's should have a more floral, less bitter hoppiness, and even then it should be a bit mild, since the real star of the show should be the malt and yeast character. I'd go with the Citras for bittering and the Willamettes (my fav) for aroma.
agree about the floral mildness, disagree about not using warrior. it doesn't matter what you bitter with. the flavor and aroma will be boiled away after 60 mins, leaving behind only bitterness. hence my advice to not use the citra. that expensive hop should be save for flavor and aroma when it's unique characteristics can shine through.

do not use citra for bittering - a complete waste (see below).

the closest thing to tradition you could do here is use the williamette @ 60 mins to achieve 20 IBU. witbier traditionally have neither flavor nor aroma additions.

personally, i would use the warrior for bittering (you won't need much, probably less than half an oz) and then use a little citra for flavoring and aroma: 0.2-0.25 at 10 mins and the same amount at 1 min/flamout.

agree about the floral mildness, disagree about not using warrior. it doesn't matter what you bitter with. the flavor and aroma will be boiled away after 60 mins, leaving behind only bitterness. hence my advice to not use the citra. that expensive hop should be save for flavor and aroma when it's unique characteristics can shine through.

thank you. should i just abandon the citra all together and save them for another batch? after all my research im going to do one of two things. A: buy an oz of hallertauer and just go legit or B: use the willamette at 60 and call it a brew day.

thank you. should i just abandon the citra all together and save them for another batch? after all my research im going to do one of two things. A: buy an oz of hallertauer and just go legit or B: use the willamette at 60 and call it a brew day.
i've made a wit with 0.2 oz of citra at 10 min and another 0.2 at 1 min, and it gave it a nice subtle citrus/fruit undertone. it was still definitely a wit, and was very tasty. otherwise yeah, save the citra for another batch where you want to feature hops. unless you have other plans for the willamette, i'd say go with that. throw in enough to hit 20 IBUs and call it a brew day.

Definitely save the citra for another batch. I agree that wits should really just have a small bittering addition, and for that the warrior or the willamette should be fine. Citra is too expensive/difficult to get to use in this beer.

i agree that only a bittering addition is needed. when i make wits i get aroma from coriander and orange zest

Back