Belgian Trippel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoordaB

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Trippel and I've already hit my TG of 1.014 after only 6 days in the primary fermenter. My OG was 1.08, I pitched Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity (WY3787), and it's been fermenting at 72 degrees.

This is my first attempt at a Trippel. Everything I've read about brewing Trippels is telling me they need about 2 weeks or longer.

I'm wondering if there are any problems that might be indicated from such a fast fermentation, if I should let it continue to ferment for a while longer or let it rest in a secondary fermenter for a while, or if I should go ahead and bottle?

Also, any tricks with Trippels, such as if a secondary fermenter even makes a difference would be appreciated.

i had an ipa shoot from 1.068 to 1.010 in like 3 days on me once (WLP090 san diego super yeast) and i didn't notice any problems with the beer.

This is my first attempt at a Trippel. Everything I've read about brewing Trippels is telling me they need about 2 weeks or longer.

Does your reading suggest the fermentation should be "actively" fermenting for 2 weeks? That seems unlikely if you pitched the right amount of yeast. There are a lot of stages in the yeast cycle that are important to the final product that don't change your gravity readings very much.

Having such an active early fermentation will probably have some effect on the final beer, but I would be shocked if didn't come out just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Now you just have to worry about the waiting. :)

I'm brewing a Trippel and I've already hit my TG of 1.014 after only 6 days in the primary fermenter. My OG was 1.08, I pitched Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity (WY3787), and it's been fermenting at 72 degrees.

A couple of things. First off, the target FG is just an estimate and not an accurate nummber. It can often go lower than that. Second. 3787 is famous for starting off fast and then continuing to tick off a few more points very slowly.

Definitely do not bottle yet. Let it sit for at least a couple more weeks to make sure it is actually done. I am guessing that it is not based on my experience with that yeast. Anyway a longer time in the fermenter for a beer that big is always good. I usually give my tripels at least 4-6 weeks or even more will not hurt.

Awesome, thanks for the advice; I'll let it wait. I tested it again and the gravity's only dropped a few points over the past few days - to 1.012. Thing is the alcohol taste has gotten harsher over the past few days, which worries me a bit.

Don't worry and don't rush. A big beer like will take some time for the flavors to mellow.

Think months not weeks.

So quick update: the temperature where i was fermenting the beer got extremely high - long story on that one - but I definitely noticed it was getting harsh, I'm guessing due to esters from the yeast. So I went ahead and put it in a secondary and cooled it in a much more stable room to 48 F. After just five days in those conditions it's clarified beautifully, the gravity is stable at 1.012, and the flavors have mellowed tremendously. Now I'll jut let it bulk condition that way. Thanks!

I'm glad it's going to work out for you.
I do want to say that many brewers are too quick to pull a beer off the yeast. In your case you may have gotten another point or two. Or it may have cleaned up a little more.

Alright; I'll keep that in mind for the future. I'm pretty new to brewing, and I recognize that a trippel is ambitious for a beginner - but I live trippels and I tend to be over ambitious with stuff anyway. Thanks for the pointer though, seriously.

تم الإرسال بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Home Brew

Ambitious...sure, but you should brew what you like.
Good for you!

Just be sure to look through the forum and take not of the typical beginner mistakes.

Congrats on the Trippel!

I am letting it sit at 48 F for a while. I'm not sure when I'll bottle it and let it condition there, but I'll wait some time.

Thank you, I'm pretty pumped that it's going okay. Should be fun and good to learn from my mistakes in this one.

تم الإرسال بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Home Brew

If you are crashing for clarity, you can go down even colder. Nearly freezing. If you wanted to fine with gelatin or something that would be a good time.

Otherwise, nothing is stopping from bottling and letting it mature in the bottle. Depends on what your goal is. What you feel like the beer needs.

Point being, since you took it off the yeast, nothing to be gained other than clarity by letting it sit in a secondary. If you are going for a lagering phase it won't hurt, but I have doubts about you gaining much from the process.

As others said, tferring off the yeast will not necessarily clear the "off flavors" that may have been produced at fermenting warmer...time is your best friend. The Belgian tripel 1st (and only) I brewed was good ferment temp and still tasted harsh for 3 mths after bottled (big beer), magic happened b/w 3rd & 4mths, and next thing u know it was the best beer I have brewed...was a Holiday beer and everyone loved it! Give her tiiime!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

let it raise from 48 back up to 70, then wait 2 weeks. bottle or bulk condition for a month beyond that? it should mellow out and be fantastic by early march.

Latest posts

Back