Belgian-ish Style recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something a bit different. I've been reading a bit about long boils and decided to combine it with my favorite recipe. I've knocked the OG down 13 pts and bumped the IBUs down to maintain the malt/hop balance as well. I left the 15 min hops the same (I wonder if this should change) Any thoughts or suggestions? My one thought is that I might should beef up the 90 min additions to balance the malty/caramel from the long boil.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Boil Time: 150 min!!
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 6.43%
IBU (tinseth): 26.17

FERMENTABLES:
9.3 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (83.2%)
1.1 lb - Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (0L) - (late addition) (9.8%)
0.45 lb - United Kingdom - Amber (4%)
0.33 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (3%)

HOPS:
.77 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet 90 min
0.37 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet 90 min
0.5 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet 15 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) 131 F, Time: 10 min
2) 149F, Time: 70 min
3) Dunk Sparge, Temp: 167 F

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Ale 1214
Fermentation Temp: 68 F raising to 75 F over several days

If I may, I would drop the amber and crystal malts altogether. If you want some kind of crystal, I would go with Biscuit malt. Biscuit will provide a drier, less cloying experience, especially in a beer which will be boiled so long.

Regarding the yeast, you can find some posts on the Internet: http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?28100-Some-issues-with-Wyeast-1214
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=288966

The yeast is known to start slowly. The lower temperature would make it even slower. My recommendation is to start at 70 and raise it slowly every day and end it with a few days at 77-78F to ensure it finishes. I usually ferment my belgians at high temperature, as I want and like the esters.

Back