Belgian IPA Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
Pitched a healthy starter of Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes on 1.070 wort at 62 degrees planning to immediately ramp up to 68 but I forgot to change the setting. It fermented at 62 for 12 hours. This is way to low to get the beautiful character from that Belgian yeast. Should I slowly ramp up to 70-75 or just bring it inside and ferment at my house temperature of 75?

Thanks!

Go ahead and ramp up now. It'll be fine. There's still plenty of time to get those yummy esters and phenols. Go right up to the mid- to upper-70s. That yeast loves it.

Yikes....

Well I fermented this out, didn't get past 75 and YUCK. This is the worst beer I have made since batch number 1 (80ish batches ago). It is pure ethyl acetate or nail polish, caused by high fermentation temperatures. I was very disappointed to say the least. I decided to dry hop it and in a few days keg, carb, and serve ice cold.

Any advice on trying to save this batch other than what I have done? Really don't want to dump it.

Do not dump it. It has only been 2 weeks. I would give it a couple more weeks and see if it cleans up some. What is the current SG? 3522 should be OK well into the 80s so I really don't think 75 would be too high. I've gone as high as 85 without a problem. Did you use much sugar in the brew like dextrose or candi sugar? I've gotten hot alcohol flavors in the past when I was too generous with candi sugar trying to dry it out some. If all else fails, I would let it age a few months. I've had brews that were undrinkable at 2 months and great after 9 months. Especially with Belgians.

Thanks, yea not dumping, gonna give it a chance but I might have these 5 gallons to myself.

I didn't use any sugar in the brew. Just malt, hops, water and yeast.

I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm not sure I will sit on it 9 months though

A belgian/trappist/abbey yeast, in a moderately high gravity beer, and you expect it to be drinkable at 2 weeks? Try it again in 2 months, then please report here!

Will do. Should I put it on gas or just let it hang?

Presuming you have kegging equipment, I'd add priming sugar, purge with CO2, set the keg seals with 30PSI, and come back in month or two.

If you want strong dry hopping, wait until you are ready to serve it to dry-hop in the keg. If that isn't your goal, then dry hop it a little extra now before you carb and age it. At all points where closing the keg back up, purge with CO2.

IMPORTANT: Note that removing dry hops from carbed beer in the keg requires it to be very cold, and you to be somewhat fast. Some people won't even do it due to past messes.

Latest posts

Back