Belgian IIPA Yeast(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmclar1

Reaction score
I'm brewing a high grav Belgian IIPA tomorrow and using Wyeast 3711 French Saison, but I was thinking about mixing it with another yeast. Any suggestions as with what to mix it with, or thoughts that I absolutely shouldn't do this?

Thanks everyone!

You never know how it will turn out until you try, however the 3711 is an extremely attenuative yeast. It could leave the finished beer without a lot of body. It could also be awesome. There are different schools of thought on Belgian IPA's. Some like a Belgian base with a lot of hops. I brew one and add some traditional belgian grist grains and also some pale malt and a bit of crystal to give it more body than a traditional belgian might have. I have used White Labs WLP 550 with good results. WLP 550 is pretty attenuative as well, but I think 3711 may go drier.

If you have the fermentor space it might be interesting to split the batch and ferment some with the 3711 and the rest with something else and compare.

Seems like highly attenuated IIPAs are all the rage these days. The French saison yeast will do doubt result in a dry Belgian base and enhance the hops... great choice that I never would have thought of.

Been there done & got the tshirt.... the beer is no longer a IPA but a superhoppy saison. The flavors taste great for the first week or so then it becomes "too much going" and gets worse with age.

I have used wlp550 for the start and at day 5 added 3711 yeast, the bulk of flavors/aromas come from the wlp550 and you get a nice touch from the saison yeast.

A plus is over time the saison yeast gives a very Belgian aroma that really smells nice.

Cut the IBUs to about 35, dump the Crystal, and keep the finishing hops subtle (but keep them ..... English or European hops rather than US). Ferment high, around 75 F, and you will have an excellent beer.

Expect 90+ attenuation.

I haven't used it but everything I've read about 3711 says it's a beast. I've been looking to use 3711 for a saison for a while now; mind posting back your experience with it after primary man?

Ended up brewing this the day of the OP (couldn't wait), and everything has gone well so far. Pitched at ~67 and have been ramping up the temp by 2F everyday. OG: 1.076 Grav this morning: 1.012ish. Insane.

If this turns out a super hoppy saison I'm fine with that, but with large amounts of Warrior, Sorachi Ace, Nelson Sauvin, Citra, and Motueka in the boil and then some hopback action and dry hopping, I hope the American IPA influence will be evident.

I'll post back for those who care as the beer progresses.

After two weeks in the bottle, this is pretty awesome. Nice phelonic yeast character and super dry attenuation make for a nice Belgian-inspired IIPA. FG: 1.010. 3711 has really boosted the hop flavor I think, but without the bittering hop presence I've gotten with other Belgian yeasts. When I brew this again I will probably do as Hobloun suggested and pitch another Belgian strain and add 3711 maybe 2 or 3 days later. Hopefully I will be able to get some esters from both strains.

Thanx for the update usmclar1. So many members promise follow through posts after they brew and then forget. Glad it made a nice beer for you.

Cheers

what amount of specialty grains did you use?

what did it finally finish at?

how much did you carb it?

great idea - i love brewing in style, but my favorite beers by far are out of style... +1 on zen's comment - great follow through... nice to see results and if you're brewing this again, clearly its worth brewing...

Specialty malts- Special B 5%, Biscuit 3%, Aromatic 3%. The rest was a 50/50 split between Pilsen and 2-Row. Decided NOT to do extract this go around. My buddy did pretty much the same recipe but with Munich/Pilsen/2-Row and mashed lower for his base grains and I must say, I think the Munich's toasty dryness (or just lack of sweetness) really adds something. Maybe I'll try that next time.

FG: 1.010

Carbed & bottled 5 gal with 2/3 cup corn sugar.

That's cool man, to be honest with you I seldom ever brew in style. I always tend to do "out there" experiments, but try to make solid beer without the "gimmick factor" weighing in on what I and others think of the beer itself. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, just size it appropriately for my ride. And yes, I will certainly brew this over and over, tweaking one or two things each time until I find the perfect Belgian IIPA for me.

Thanks for following guys.

Back