Belgian Golden Strong Ale and Beano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have been having this issue with my Belgian Golden Strong Ale in that it will not ferment out completely. I am at 1.019 and it should finish out at 1.011. I have tried everything from raising the fermentation temperature to swirling the wort in the carboy to pitching another ale yeast to pitching champagne yeast and NOTHING has worked. I have read that adding a 4-6 beano tablets can bring the gravity down by converting non-fermentable sugars to fermentable sugars, but it will bring it down all the way to 1.000 and dry it out. That being said, golden strong ales are supposed to be pretty dry, so I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to add one or two beano tablets (or amylase enzyme powder) to bring the gravity down to 1.011 rather than 1.000 or if any additions at all will bring it down all the way? Thanks!

Gravity and flavor/mouthfeel perception are not linearly linked. It can still taste dry at 1.019 sometimes. Try the beano and see what it does. You can always blend back in a beer with a bigger body later. If the flavor is good then it's not like dropping out the FG will make it undrinkable.

Latest posts

Back