Belgian dubbel recipe, any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
This is going to be my second extract brew, wanted to do a belgian with an orange flavor to it so I came up with this, the color is a little lighter and the ABV is a little low for a dubbel but I'm fine with that.
I'm not sure on how long it should sit in the secondary because I've read that these kind of beers need a while to condition, does anyone have any suggestions? are all my ingredients going to work out for this brew or should I change something?

Partial boil, 3 gal for a 5 gallon batch.

Planning on fermenting at 74 degrees air temp.

Fermentables
6 lbs Alexanders Wheat LME
1.5 lbs extra light DME
1 lb belgian candi sugar amber/brown

Specialty grains
.5 lbs belgian aromatic
.5 lbs belgian caravienne
.25 lbs crystal 10
.25 lbs victory

Hops
1.5 oz styrian goldings - 60 min
.5 oz saaz - 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast belgian ale 1214

Other
Zest of 2 oranges - 10 min
crushed coriander - flameout

Adding orange and coriander makes this more of a cross between a Dubbel and a Wit.

What is the est. OG, FG, and IBUs?

I don't think you have a bad recipe, but here's what I would do if you're looking for a more Dubbel like base beer:
- Replace all the extract with Pilsner malt extract if available.
- I would probably add Special B and remove the caravienna and victory malts
- 74F ambient is pretty warm. I recommend using a swamp cooler to keep the fermentation a little bit cooler, around 68-70F, especaily for the first 2-3 days.

Regarding the use of a secondary, I don't think you need one. I would ferment for 2-3 weeks in primary then bottle/keg.

I guess that's kind of what I'm going for is a cross between a dubble and a wit.

Est OG 1.059
Est FG 1.012
IBU 17.3

Unfortunately I'm on an island in alaska and the LHBS in anchorage (at least on their webiste) doesn't have pils malt extract. Would an amber work better than what I have?
I can get Special b, why would that be better?

I was figuring a fermentation of 74 degrees because wyeast says that the temp range is 68 - 78 for 1214.
I guess the actual temp will be higher inside the fermenter, I can make 68 work though, that's what my current batch has been sitting at.

BTW I came up with this recipe by taking the northern brewer
"La Petite Orange
 Extract Kit" and changing a couple things due to lack of available supplies in AK.

Thanks for the reply!

I suggested the Special B as it provides a raisin-like flavor and darkens the beer. It's more appropriate in a Dubbel than a Wit, so it really depends on the ratio of Dubbel to Wit that you're shooting for. Either way, I think you'll be fine.

I would not use amber extract, which is just light extract with crystal malt. You're better off using only light extract and adding the amount of crystal malt you desire as a steeping grain. It gives you more control over your beer.

After messing around with beersmith for a while I think I'll add about 4oz of special b, cut the caravienne out, add more crystal, and use 6.5 lbs of light extract, that will end up saving me some $$$ too.
I wanted to leave the victory malt in since it's a parallel to biscuit malt.
The color is looking pretty dark in beersmith, I'm hoping that the special b that I'm able to get is less than the 180 SRM that beersmith says it is.

Learning about all these grains and how they work with the beer is interesting.
There's a lot to it.
I almost wonder if I'm trying to do too complex recipes too soon lol.
Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back