Belgian Black DIPA Recipe Help/Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsarface

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

As the title says I'm currently in the planning stages of a Belgian Black DIPA recipe that I'd really appreciate some experience input with. (For the record, I've never done an all-grain batch before, though I'm pretty confident in knowledge of the process, etc.)

My recipe is as follows:
7.5 lbs Maris Otter
6.5 lbs 2-Row
3 lbs Rye Malt
1 lb Crystal-80
8 oz Carafa II or III
8 oz Chocolate/Midnight Wheat
8 oz Victory Malt
4 oz Special B

1.5 oz Columbus @ 60min
2 oz Sorachi Ace @ 20 min
2 oz Cascade @ 5-10 min
Dry hop with 1 oz each of Citra & Simcoe

I was *hoping* to ferment with Wyeast's 3711 French Saison yeast. I recently managed to find a (very old) bottle of Pepe Nero from Goose Island that I enjoyed and was a portion of inspiration for this recipe. My main goal is to blend the semi-roasted flavor of the Black IPA with a fruity/spicy/earthy blend of hops that would bridge the gap with the saison yeast well. Maybe even add some black pepper if that would help?

Expected OG according to Beersmith is 1.101, with an expected FG of 1.018. ABV 11%. I was thinking about substituting more crystal for some base malt to lessen the attenuation, but perhaps I could just mash higher than is typical for the DIPA? I know 3711 is a freight train with attenuation so I'm wary of that as well.

Anyway, if anyone has some advice in regards to any of this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

let me start with the yeast... 3711 will take that beer down to 1.000-1.003, making for a very alcoholic beer...with that said, i'd tone down/simplify the grain bill. i'd remove the crystal completely also the midnight wheat. stick to carafa 3 (dehusked) but up it to a pound. the rest looks ok, but scale it back...i'd shoot for an OG of 1.070. move your hops from 20/10 min flameout... i'd go for a 4-5 oz whirpool and the same amount for a dryhop.

Thanks for the input. Is there perhaps a nice Saison/Belgian strain I could use that would be less inclined towards attenuation?

Last edited:
i've used 3522 in a few belgian pales/ipas with success.

Back