Belgian abbey II in an imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
So I pitched some Belgian Abby II in my Imperial Stout. It's basically a 1050 clone with ingredients covering the entire globe. We call it "sloppy stout".

However, I just took a gravity measurement and a tasting...the Belgian yeast have definitely over taken the brew. Lots of fruit in the smell and early flavor. Nice coffee chocolate finish though. Haha

Has anyone ever done this? And if so, what were the results after the beer aged?

Curious how this turns out. Love Belgians and stouts but not sure on the combo. Good luck!

Not sure of the yeast they used but I'm pretty sure that stone did a RIS with some belgian strain.

Doesn't this really just constitute a Belgian Stout? I think it will be great. I just had a Belgian stout recently that was damn near amazing. The fruitiness and spiciness of the yeast were a good accent to some of the dark stone fruit notes that are common in stouts. I imagine that with time the notes from the yeast will die down a bit. Especially if you leave it on the yeast cake. I think you have potential for a really good, unique stout. It obviously won't have the strong spiciness that Belgian stouts have due to the absence of spices in the boil, but some residual yeastiness would probably be delightful IMO. Roasted barley and dark roasted malts are so potent that I think if you give it time the yeast will die down and the malt profile will come through. It doesn't sound like you don't like it, but I would definitely keep some bottles around because come next year... I bet that "Sloppy Stout" with a belgian touch will be great haha.

Thanks. As always patience is a virtue with brewing. But...it's always great to have the reassurance.

Jeremy

Back