Being picky about who tatses your beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had several people at work inquire/show a little interest in trying homebrewed beer. However, they are just acquaintances, or people I just met, and probably will not work with again, so it would be a little akward to invite them over for a beer. I would like to introduce them to this good beer, but I'm too cheap to give up the bottles themselves--they're expensive and would be depleted quickly this way. And, I would feel like even more of a cheapskate asking for the empty bottles back! :D I guess what I'm trying to say is that i'm not protective of the beer itself (although if someone didn't like it, i certainly wouldn't continue offering it to them), i'm more protective of the expensive bottles. And I don't even use the Grosch-style!

I'm not sure what you mean by it being awkward to invite someone to stop by for a beer. It seems pretty straight forward: you're talking about beer, they show an interest, you offer to host and they decide to accept or decline.

Beer bottles don't have to be expensive. Strike up a conversation with a local corner tavern owner or bartender and see if they're willing to collect a case or 2 for you.

Even buying them at the HBS, 12 oz bottles are $0.25 each ($10 or so for a case). If people enjoy and appreciate the brew, I'll give them away all day.

I actually throw bottles away! I find them to be fairly cheap at $8 and change per case at my LHBS, plus the used bottles from previous brews and then the store bought brews I buy leave me with too many sometimes. I've got to the point of throwing out anything with a label, it's not worth my time to remove labels and clean bottles. I've only just started brewing this past June and have only done 2 batches, but already I have too many bottles.
I ask for them back if it's convenient, otherwise I don't care.

Tommy

I usually don't give out my beers. I use PETs most of the time so I want them back since they cost more. I rather have people over to the house.

I want to see how they like it and watch the expression on their face after the first taste. Also when trying a first HB I think that presentation is imparative. Clean and correct glasses, proper pouring, hold back the yeast at the bottom, descent head formation, Etc....

With BMC house guests, I don't try to convert them. I have BMC in the fridge and offer a similar HB, like a pale ale. I let them decide what they want to drink. BMC or HB? I also tell them that if they don't like it they don't have to drink it and that I won't be offended. If they like that and feel gutsy I have them try an altbier or an Octoberfest/Marzen or a fruit beer.

My two closest co-workers are either non-beer drinkers or lite drinkers. Once my colleage offered to buy beers after work. He told me to order the first round and took of for a quick piss. Got a pitcher of Sam Adams Boston Lager. He took two-three drinks while jabbering and stopped and asked what the hell I ordered. Next round was lite, then we bought our own after that was over. My other work buddy drinks girly drinks. Hates beer - his family works at Coors!!!! Haha!!!

I plan on having them both over in September. I will have a Pale Ale for the one and a cider for the other to drink. The non-beer drinkers wife will probably sample the HB since she was a Coors employee.

By the way.... about 30 people at work are home brewers. Sometimes it hard to get back to business.

My wife is a dedicated Miller Lite drinker. And my liquor store still sells it in returnable bottles. Needless to say, for 10 cents a bottle, I have more bottles than I can deal with, and some heavy duty boxes to keep my homebrew in. But I'll return them someday.

Back