Beginners thread...wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universe

Reaction score
Is there a beginners thread? I just purchased all the supplies I need to start brewing wine, and I have a bunch of questions. Thanks.

Cool. Ok, so total noob here. Saw a complete brewing kit for sale CHEAP in the local classifieds so I called and got it. I was looking for any beginner tips with the simple kits. I want to do the brewing in my heated crawlspace. Anyway:

Is a 4 foot crawlspace too low to brew wine/beer?

If its too low, how 'bad' is it to move the primary fermenter before transfering to secondary?

Is there a good noob tutorial, including things like how to use the hydrometer ect?

Recommend me a cheap primary :)

Thanks and I'll be back with more questions.

If you can find a lbs...or Austinhomebrew.com....You can get an "Ale Pail" style bucket fermentor for around $10.
Another $10 that is pretty wisely spent is to get Terry Garey's book The Joy of Home Wine making. That is a pretty good beginners guide to wine. She covers all the basics in pretty plain English...and it's available on Amazon.

Here's my favorite "how to" on winemaking: winemaking: The Basic Steps
That site can be weird to navigate, but he has everything on there from yeast strains to sanitation, and covers all the winemaking problems you could have. He also has many, many recipes for all types of fruit and even things that aren't fruit.

What kind of wine are you hoping to make?

Thanks all!

I'm just starting with a red wine kit that was included in the sale. I will start it tonight. This board rocks.

That sounds like a good plan- the kits tend to have very good instructions, so you can get the process down and see what to expect during fermentation. I'm going to make a kit sometime this month- I bought a really nice kit from austinhomebrew.com during their last sale, and I know that will make a very nice red wine.

Some kits are better than others (in this case, I think you really do get what you pay for) but even the inexpensive ones make pretty good drinkable wine. Which brand are you trying?

Just put on a Beer Makers Pilsner. I will get a primary tomorrow and toss on the wine as well :) The wine kit is a Heritage Estates Johannesburg Riesling.

pilsnerfirst.jpg

Universe Dude,

Hey man whats happening?
It won't hurt your 'wort' to move it around.
And a '4' tall' space is fine.
And I have a great link bookmarked about hydrometers:

Hydrometer Guide

Its getting cool enough here in north Texas to do some brewing and that is good as 'I am out of beer and ale'!

Lets get ignert and go coon hunting!

J. Winters VonKnife
and my coon hound 'Sandymay'
Jack the Knife's World Famous Fifth century forge, Knife shop and Skullery
jacksknifeshop

Thanks for the link...So i'm guessing you extract an amount of your beer and put it in a tube like that to measure?

Yes,

There is a 'carbouy robber' at homebrew supply stores.
A plastic cylinder which when sanitized can be used
to remove wort for hydrometer readings.
I seldom ever use one as I brew the same receipe.
And I'm not sure what they call it,
but you need one especially if you are beginning.

Luck and later

Knife

Back