Beginner's Questions - Miscalculation on Starting Gravity - Too High?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermentophile

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just did my first all-grain brew last night, and the original gravity ended up way higher than I expected. I was doing a stovetop mash and I did the 2-step mash (protein rest at 143 F 20 min then conversion at 153 F 60 minand ended up with about 1.5 or 2 gallons more pre-boil wort than I had anticipated.

I boiled the wort for about 2 hours in total in order to reduce the volume, and I made the mistake of not chilling the samples of wort I took off for gravity readings as the boil was progressing. I was shooting for an O.G. of 1.078, and it kept reading showing about 1.060 so I did what seemed reasonable in my sleep-deprived state and added in some brown DME (it was what I had on hand) and cane sugar. Overall, in about 7.5 gallons of wort post boil, this is approximately what went in:

14 lbs Canadian Pilsner Malt
1.1 lb brown DME
4 lbs light inverted cane sugar

1.3 oz Columbus %14.5 - 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade %5.5 - 60 min
0.7 oz Columbus %14.5 - 20 min
0.6 oz Cascade %5.5 - 20 min
1.5 oz Czech Saaz %5 - 10 min
0.5 oz Cascade %5.5 - 10 min

Wyeast 3422 Belgian Ardennes

And I will be dry hopping with 0.5 oz Saaz and 1.5 oz Cascade.

The starting gravity reading I took before I pitched the yeast was 1.100. I used about a quart and a half starter that was very active and was prepared 2 days before. I am used 1/2 tsp Wyeast Nutrient Blend, and 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer.

I have a few questions I'd like some feedback on from more experienced brewers than myself:

1. Because of the extra dark malt extract, I know that the color will be a lot darker, but how much of a flavor difference can I expect the beer to have?

2. The hops that I was supposed to add in at 60 min and 20 min ended up being boiled for about 90 min and 40 min. I'm not sure how the longer boil of these two hop additions will affect the final beer.

3. I also only used one activator pack of yeast, so I am concerned that there won't be enough yeast to properly ferment the wort. Should I wait a while and re-pitch more yeast if fermentation stalls? Also, is there anything else I can do to help the yeast ferment such large, high gravity wort?

Thanks for reading and your answers. I am a bit paranoid considering this is my first all grain batch, and I want to do whatever I can to help it turn out right.

Anyone have any help for me? Please, I would love some feedback from someone experienced on how this recipe may turn out and what I can do to help it work.

Thanks!

Back