Beginner's Bad Luck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlvc1007

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm on maybe my 5th or 6th batch of wine, so I guess you could say I sort of know what I'm doing, but not so much. Almost half have turned out as complete disasters, but I'm fairly certain this was due to sanitation issues, and utter stupidity on my behalf.

I've had several "successful" batches, i.e. drinkable, but made half the people who tried it cringe. I'm improving, but my most recent batch tasted off. I'm not sure how to describe it. I want to say yeasty but I'm not quite sure, it may be because I used bread yeast that time for convenience.

I've just been using store bought juice, white granulated sugar, and yeast. Come to think of it I've never exclusively used wine yeast, except on occasions where I know I didn't sanitize properly. Is the baker's yeast my problem? Or do I really need to go the extra mile balancing pH and adding all the extra ingredients?

Bakers yeast will ferment sugars, yes. It isn't going to be ideal to ferment wine though, and have flavors that are preferable. Homebrewer shop supplied wine yeasts have been selected because the strains' characteristics are favorable to flavor, flocculation, and alcohol tolerance.

The juice you are using may also be part of the problem. Any old fruit juice will ferment as long as there aren't preservatives present, but again- the end-product may or may not be stellar. What kind of juice are you using? How long are you letting it ferment, and how long are you letting it sit in secondary before you're drinking it?

So far I've used Wal-Mart brand and Welches, but Welches was when I first started and had no clue what I was doing. Do you have any recommendations as far as juice brands?

As for fermentation, I usually transfer it to smaller secondariers around 5-7 days, or when the SG has dropped to around .995 or whatever the right value is, I can't remember. I really don't have a method for the secondary. Last time I put it in the fridge and let it sit for ~3-4 weeks. That was my best batch, but I had to use bread yeast and the end result was still an of yeasty taste.

So far I've used Wal-Mart brand and Welches, but Welches was when I first started and had no clue what I was doing. Do you have any recommendations as far as juice brands?

As for fermentation, I usually transfer it to smaller secondariers around 5-7 days, or when the SG has dropped to around .995 or whatever the right value is, I can't remember. I really don't have a method for the secondary. Last time I put it in the fridge and let it sit for ~3-4 weeks. That was my best batch, but I had to use bread yeast and the end result was still an of yeasty taste.

Welch's juices are fine to use. They have lots of different kinds, and they work very well. Try to stay away from the ones that have high-fructose corn syrup, though, and preservatives of course.

Try a 100% Niagara for a very nice white wine, or the 100% Concord for a pretty good concord wine. I have the recipe in my pull-down under my avatar. There are other recipes for juices, too, like a recipe using apple juice.

Ditch the bread yeast. Wine yeast is $.49-$1 at Homebrew Market and you'll get much better results. Pick up some powdered tannin, acid blend and pectic enzyme, too, for under $5 total and you can make some very drinkable wines!

In addition to yoopers expert advise,

Try letting your wines age 3-6 months before tasting, you might be surprised how big of a difference this can make. You could bottle 4-5 bottles from a gallon batch, then open one every 3 months to see how it goes.

I use sulfite to clean all equipment that comes into contact with the wine. Have made some bad wine, but since I have been making home made wine (1983) have never gotten a yeast infection in my wine....

I use sulfite to clean all equipment that comes into contact with the wine. Have made some bad wine, but since I have been making home made wine (1983) have never gotten a yeast infection in my wine....

What about in your crotch?

(Sorry, you left that door open)

Hi everyone,

I'm on maybe my 5th or 6th
reallY? is it the 5th or the 6th? that might be part of the problem :D
batch of wine, so I guess you could say I sort of know what I'm doing, but not so much. Almost half have turned out as complete disasters, but I'm fairly certain this was due to sanitation issues, and utter stupidity on my behalf.

I've had several "successful" batches, i.e. drinkable, but made half the people who tried it cringe.
if the half that cringe are [expletives] - doesn't even matter...
I'm improving, but my most recent batch tasted off. I'm not sure how to describe it. I want to say yeasty but I'm not quite sure, it may be because I used bread yeast
OK, so all OVER the net are people saying that bread yeast for wine <==> tastes like dirty socks... need I say more?
that time for convenience.

I've just been using store bought juice, white granulated sugar, and yeast. Come to think of it I've never exclusively used wine yeast, except on occasions where I know I didn't sanitize properly. Is the baker's yeast my problem? Or do I really need to go the extra mile balancing pH and adding all the extra ingredients?

Back