Beginner Soda brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm a pretty accomplished homebrewer, but have some friends that don't drink. Not wanting to leave them out, I thought it'd be a cool idea to try and make some soda, but I have a few questions..

1) I'm going to naturally carbonate the soda. The big fear is bottle bombs if I'm using glass, obviously, but I imagine I could just check the carbonation after 3-4 days (I'd be using swingtops), and once it seems appropriate, pasteurize the bottles using this process. Would that work, do you think?

2) I'd like to try a kiwi/lime soda. Anyone have any recipe recommendations? My plan was 3 kiwis, two limes (juiced and zested), and about 4oz of flaked oats for a 2 gallon batch. Would the process of making the soda be similar to a beer mash? Will the flaked oats give me the smoothness and head retention I'd expect in a beer? That's what I'm going for, but I'm not really sure how it'd work in the absence of other malts.

Thanks for the help!

I too am really curious about oats in soda.

I think I'd try 1/2 lime (zest and juice), 1 sliced kiwi, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/8 tsp ale yeast for each liter. Leave it in a covered pitcher over night and then strain it into a 2 liter soda bottles. Let it stand at room temperature until the bottle is rock hard and put the bottle in the fridge to halt and clear the yeast. I'd start with that and then experiment to tweak the flavor from there.

(I use 2 cup Gatorade sports bottles instead of 2 liter soda bottles and they work just fine)

Back