Beginner, Picked up Kegging Parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeP66

Reaction score
So after bottling my first batch, I have really been wanting to get into kegging. I picked up a few parts from a neighbor I think I got a pretty good deal on it all. It belonged to someone who has not brewed in some time. All this was sitting around for a while. I cut off all the old tubing and had this left over. Is there anything that I need to know about any of this equipment? Any reccomended upgrades or tips?

Thanks.
032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

037-2.jpg

036-1.jpg

035.jpg

You got two different kegs!!! You have one pin lock and one ball lock. Not a big deal but you need to buy separate disconnects.

You really only need to buy one disconnect for each because your picture shows one ball lock and one pin lock already. Not sure if they are gas or liquid.

I'd buy a rebuild kit for each keg $3.05 each keg
http://morebeer.com/view_product/18234//Rebuild_Kit_For_Cornelius_Kegs

Also grab some keg lube to keep your o-rings fresh
http://morebeer.com/search?search=keg+lube

Also, your CO2 tank is empty.
Make sure to check your CO2 tank for a test date. It is usually stamped somewhere near the top. For example, if it was tested in May 2011 they'd stamp it 05 11.

If this date isn't within 5 years you can't refill it before getting a hydrostatic test. A fire safety or gas supply place can do them. I've found it is cheaper to find a place that exchanges tanks. My liquor store will exchange an out of date tank for an additional $10!!! That is really cheap.

jockey box and a wort chiller too? looks like a great score. i would replace the pin lock too.

Yeah, I noticed that they were two different kegs also. Is one any better than the other? I am honestly, a major noob to the brewing let alone kegging art. I agree with the rebuild kits I was planning on changing out the o-rings just didnt know where to get them from. I also remember hearing a bout a specific type of hose to use as well. There is air in the tank, I just closed up the reg. I'll have to check the date on the tank.
Yeah, I didnt have too much interest in the plate or the chiller at first, but figured, why not. What is the "pin lock"?
What would this combination go for? What you you guys consider fair?

I appreciate the advice guys. Sorry for the nooby questions

pepsi uses ball lock, coke uses pin lock (or vise versa). it's the difference between a philips screw driver and a straight screw driver. neither one is really better, the point is that they are not compatible. ball lock is the most popular choice for homebrewers, so go with ball lock.

i would pay $25 for each keg, if it holds pressure and is easy to clean. the wort chiller looks like 3/8" x 20' copper pipe, but it looks a little old/used. i could make one new for $35, so i would pay $25 or less for it.

i called that box a "jockey box", but now i think it's another wort chiller, $80 new, so i'd pay less than half of that for a used one (if i actually wanted one).

i'm guessing a new tank and regulator would cost ~$100, so i'd half of that for one in used condition like that. $35 if the tank is expired and needs to be pressure tested, $50 if the date on the tank is still good.

so, $25 + $25 + $25 + $35 = $110, maybe a little more if i really wanted the stuff and was going to have to pay full retail to get it new.

One thing, Lawnmower beer is not made using actual lawnmower.

Also, there's not a big problem using ball locks and pin locks, you just need separate connections. Bad thing is you can't fill one with beer, then sanitize the lines using the other one.

Yeah, I noticed that they were two different kegs also. Is one any better than the other?
Not really. Note that the kegs themselves are identical (they are called cornealious kegs... or cornys), it is the hardware that is different. Northern Brewer has everything you need.. although you can find better prices if you look around.. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings
You also will need a deep socket wrench to remove the fittings for maintenance.

I am honestly, a major noob to the brewing let alone kegging art. I agree with the rebuild kits I was planning on changing out the o-rings just didnt know where to get them from.
see link above.
I also remember hearing a bout a specific type of hose to use as well.
It's called Beer Line. Don;t get it from home depot, that is not food grade stuff with smooth enough inner surfaces. You need Beer Line. See link above ;)
What is the "pin lock"?

The fitting on the keg that the quick disconnects snap onto... they are threaded onto the keg and are made up of a post (the body of the pin lock) and a poppet (the center piece of the pin lock assembly that opens and closes, allowing beer or gas to flow when the pin in the quick dissconnect presses on it.... like a tire valve.

There are a lot of advantages of kegging.

First of its only gonna take you 1-2 to carbonate your beer (force carbonation) and second, theres a lot more brew techniques that accommodate for using a keg. You can filter your beer or whether you brew an ale or lager you can chill it for 24 hours to help drop all the suspended yeasties to clear up the beer.

Its a whole other world.

Good luck!

I think I got a good deal at 80 bucks for everything.
I think I am gonna change out the fittings so both kegs are the same. If I understand correctly, that is possible right?
I am excited to venture into the kegging would. Thanks again for all the help eveyone.

I would say $80 is a good score for everything in the picture. It looks like you have a single regulator so when you purchase your keg lines make sure you also get a T so you can connect both kegs to the single output of the gas line.

If you want to convert your pin lock to a ball lock, there are places that sell conversion kits like this. Alternatively, ball lock are more expensive these days, so I bet you might be able to find someone nearby with one version they'd be willing to swap for the other. The other alternative is that it looks like your keg disconnects are MFL. Rather than attach the hose directly to the disconnect, you attach it to a nut that can be screwed onto either lock style disconnect. If that's the case, its as easy as buying another set of MFL disconnects and you just have to unscrew one for the other, or just get a setup for two kegs and leave both hooked up with beer!

You'll want to buy some 1/4" tubing for the gas, and a splitter of some sort to hook up both kegs (I like the plastic T's, but you can go for anything from stainless T's to manifolds). Some 3/16" beer line (probably at least 10' per keg to start with) and another picnic tap and you'll be ready to go!

Latest posts

Back