Beginner kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBeck67

Reaction score
Hey all have spent a couple months researching and want to get back into brewing a having a hard time deciding on a good kit...I have a decent budget and lots of space...would like to be able to brew around 5 gal batches (all grain)
I realize pretty open question or is there a good thread in here for good reference?
Thx!!!

Are you looking for an equipment kit or a recipe kit?

Yeah garage brewing plenty of space....was lookin at the ss brewtech home kit but not overly interested in extract unless it does
Both budget around 1k for everything

The anvil foundry is gets good reviews? Or should I steer away from all in one setups

Do some good "internal" research before committing on a "brew system."

Do you want an all-in-one ("coffee urn" type) system, or a bit more "hands on?"

For 5 gallon all grain batches (hands-on method) you'd need a 10 gallon kettle.
I have an 8 gallon kettle, it's a tad tight to hold the whole pre-boil volume at once, but there's a very easy work-around.​
For full volume, no-sparge BIAB you'd probably need a 15 gallon kettle.
Whatever the volume, it needs to be heated, so your heat source needs to be adequate.

Preferences:
To be indoors or outdoors?
Gas or electric?
Using a separate mash/lauter vessel (e.g., converted cooler) or do BIAB?

I prefer brewing indoors and use a 3500W induction plate. I rarely brew outdoors anymore.

Other things needed:
A good wort chiller.
Immersion Chiller (IC) or Counterflow Chiller (CFC)?​
Although efficient, I'd avoid a plate chiller; wort needs to be filtered from hop sludge, before it goes through there.​
A temp controlled fermentation chamber, such as a fridge.
There are quite a few options and alternatives.​
Perhaps kegging instead of bottling?
Kegging (and dispensing from kegs) needs some dedicated equipment itself, count on about $300 at minimum.​

The anvil foundry is gets good reviews? Or should I steer away from all in one setups
+1 to all the above. I say start with budget and work backwards... if you have $5,000 get a full 3 vessell system.
If you have $2500 get a deluxe BIAB system
If you have $1200 get a Grainfather all in one biab.
If you have $500 get an Anvil Foundry 10.5

Don't spend all your money on making wort. Start with fermentors and work backwards.
$2,000 get a conical and glycol
$1,000-$1,500 get a conical and fridge

Etc. Etc.

Maybe that can help you decide?
Also note space... storage space and brewing space.
Plus all else said above.
If you read enough threads here... most brewers that stick with it will tell you to buy once cry once. But... Search the for sale threads... lots of brewers who are selling for various reasons... you know you. Will you stick with it? Get the cadillac!
You got kids on the way? Maybe an all-in-one.
Wife? Girlfriend? Etc.

Kids are done and yeah trying to do the research as I want to avoid reems
Of upgrades....I love the idea of a 3 vessel but feel like I need to earn that and make some mistakes gain some knowledge and learn what I like and don’t like...I’ve got lots of space in the garage for a set up and storage. I’m not too interested in gas burners and do like the idea of a good electric setup
I definitely don’t want anything to do with wifi and Bluetooth as I want to spend brew days away from network frustrations!!! I want this to be my escape with the side benefit of making some great drinking brews!

Well... I think you should look at two types of systems:

System#1: All-In-Ones like Grainfather, Anvil, Robozillia, Brewzilla, Etc, Etc. I think there are two clear leaders: Grainfather ($1200 with needed features) and Foundry 10.5 ($500 with pump). Since you do not want wifi/bluetooth... no need to pay for it- go Anvil!

System #2: Heavy-Duty BIAB: Spike Solo, SS version, Colorado Brew Systems, Etc. (So so many!) Plan on $2,000 or more.

You need to decide 120v vs. 240...

I went with the Anvil 10.5 because:
-It was half the price of the Grainfather
-It can do BOTH 120 or 240! Wow!
-I used the "savings" from not getting the grainfather to buy an updated chiller, and other misc. fittings.

Only bummer.... Anvil is AT LEAST 3 weeks out or so from their website.

My measly $0.02 worth

Nate that was kinda my thought and I have 240v. I do see myself wanting to get a nice fermentor chiller etc. I’d also like to can it 😂

Again- my $0.02 (and you can get about twenty people's nickle worth of free advice here!) is forget the hot side/wort until you have the fermenter figured out.
Temp control makes great beer, period.
If you can swing it, and you are going to be in the garage, get a Spike CF5 with temp package (about $1,000) AND a glycol chiller (about $600-$1200).
Is it overkill? Yes. Is it easy peezy and super nice... heck yes!

if you have $5,000 get a full 3 vessell system.
I love the idea of a 3 vessel
I sometimes brew with a good friend on his 3-vessel system and we split the batches. I find it mostly useful for larger batches, 15-20 gallons.
I can do 10 gallon batches in my converted cooler mash tun and 15 gallon boil kettle, and they're as good as brewing it on his, alas he has the added luxury of an e-RIMS for some out of the world superb step-mash control. I guess I could add something like that to mine if and when I'd need to, but it would complicate things quite a bit, more things to set up.
When I want to do a step mash I now do it in the kettle under direct heat and good stirring. The thick, 3-ply bottom for the win! After a mashout, simply transfer to the awaiting converted cooler mash tun for lautering. Followed by 2 batch sparges, as usual.

I’m certainly more leaning to an all in one and mastering smaller batches I would like it to be lean on gadgets, the brewzilla and anvil look pretty good and even if I upgrade down the road lower cost and still useable gear!

Hey all have spent a couple months researching and want to get back into brewing a having a hard time deciding on a good kit...I have a decent budget and lots of space...would like to be able to brew around 5 gal batches (all grain)
I realize pretty open question or is there a good thread in here for good reference?
Thx!!!
The advice to focus on the fermentor is spot on. Get one that will allow you to minimize oxidization. Stainless steel if you can afford it. Check not the new conical. Then #2 is to buy a "kegging" system. Go straight to the keg. If you are handy, look to buy a used fridge or freezer and skip overpaying for a Keggerator brand set up. Pretty expensive and low quality.

If you go the steel pot route, buy a big 15 gallon. Match that with BIAB.

There you go. Enjoy!

Thx certainly sounds solid why I’m looking at reasonably priced all in one and definitely going to shoot for stainless fermentor.
loving all the feedback thx!!!

Temp control is definitely important. You dont have to get stainless to get it though. However I have the Spike Cf5 . I like it so much im gonna get another. My Cf5 with a diy chiller has been awesome.

Whats key difference between a all in one set up like the foundry or brewzilla vs the pricier all in ones like spike or brau

Quality. The all-in-ones use cheap-ish rolled metal and add stuff to it (they all look like they come from the same Chinese manufacturer). Designed for affordability- trade-offs are made for cost savings.
The Spike/Brau/Etc use much better kettles and pumps. They are designed for long term use. I think they also assume the user already has some home-brew experience, and does not need a simple solution- they want a permanent long-term solution.

Back