Beginner. How long for first and second fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanpluta

Reaction score
Yes. I know this is probably a generic question. Bu as a new and excited brewer. I am curious. Here's my situation.

I brewed a Christmas ale. Tasted good. Then I just brewed an Irish ale. Here's my concern. I feel like they both tasted the same. I cannot put a stamp on the taste out of inexperience. But I am very curious why that may have happened. I did the typical 2 week primary fermentor. Then secondary fermentor for week 3. Then bottled after that and waited 2 weeks. Any insight?

IMO a minimum of three weeks in primary until fermentation has completely stopped (three days with the same gravity) and skip secondary.

Your process seems fine, though I too would skip the secondary unless you need to add more ingredients like fruit or oak, or if you want to bulk age the beer for a while. Most beers are fine with 2-4 weeks in primary then bottle.

As for the similar flavors of your beers, it could be a number of things - your water, the extract you used, the recipes (I assume both beers were fairly dark with little hop character?). Hard to say though if you can't put a description to it. Maybe post more details about the beers. In any case, I would suggest brewing something completely different next - a hoppy ipa or a light-colored wheat beer. Something that would be different enough that you could rule out recipe as the source of the similarity.

Personally, I don't use the secondary. Well, I do, but as another primary. ;) I leave it in the primary for 3 weeks (4 weeks for OG > 1.058) and then in the bottles for another 3-4 weeks.

As for you question, are the recipes similar? I'd try something very different for your next batch, like a brown ale with some chocolate malt, or a hoppy IPA.

Mike

+1 on not using a secondary. Not worth it in my opinion and have yet to hear/read someone saying to do it.

Also consider waiting another week to see if the flavors change. I use to try my beers after two weeks in the bottle (because I just couldn't wait any longer!) but have since waited until three weeks. Usually more carbed by then and get a better flavor profile because of it.

+ 1 for secondary. unless you have a high flocculating yeast the secondary is valuable if you like clear beer.

drawdy10 said:
+ 1 for secondary. unless you have a high flocculating yeast the secondary is valuable if you like clear beer.

The beer will clear just as much if you leave it in primary. There is nothing magical about a secondary that will cause the yeast to flocculate there but not in the original vessel. There are reasons to use a secondary, but beer clarity really isn't one of them.

Could the fact that my basement where I kept the fermenters being 80 degrees make the different beers taste the same? I wish I had a palate that could explain the taste but I'm not that good.

ryanpluta said:
Could the fact that my basement where I kept the fermenters being 80 degrees make the different beers taste the same? I wish I had a palate that could explain the taste but I'm not that good.

Well, 80 degrees is WAY too high for most beers. You should be in the high 60s at the warmest - preferably in the low to mid 60s (assuming ales...lagers should be cooler still). At 80 degrees the yeast will produce a ton of off-flavors and hot alcohols. I could definitely see how you would be getting similar (off)flavors because of this.

Is there something you can do tonnage temperature? I have a spare fridge I could put the fermenter bucket in. But it seems like a fridge would be too cold for ales. Do the fermenter temp gauges work for old fridges to manage a temp for ales if I bought one?

To really be able to answer this question, we could use the recipes for the two beers to guage their similariites or differences. 80° is warm, for fermenting. Can you find a area in your home that is 10 to 15 degrees cooler? My downstairs is 60° +- a degree or two, and my upstairs is 70° to 73° this time a year. Both temp ranges are 3 to 5 degrees warmer in the summer.

I will get these recipes in the morning. I really appreciate everyone on this site.

Back