Beginner HELP Understanding Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewanew

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA and its been going for 9 days now. I took a reading 2 days ago 1.010 and just today 1.010(but to me looks very slightly going below 1.009, maybe mistaken). I understand I'm looking for a consistent specific gravity reading which seems to be what I have. But, below if you look at the chart from "beverageanswer" I think this is gravity of what you would ideally want before going to bottling right? So I would need 1.040? I'm confused

While fermenting before going to bottle is Hydrometer suppose to go up in increment like 1.040 or go down like 1.008 > The Muntons manual says below 1008 which I assume is 1.008

Here is a table with common ranges for different styles of beer:
Milds Beers and Wheat Beers: 1.020-1.040 Original Gravity
Lagers, Stout, Porter, Pale Ale, Bitters: 1.040-1.050 Original Gravity<<IPA>>

No, those are the gravity levels you would expect to see PRIOR to fermentation.

Gotcha so are my readings headed in the right direction for a final gravity reading? And when should I know to bottle?

Yup, you are right on track. Your batch probably won't drop much below that but give it at least 3 weeks in primary before bottling. This will lead to a cleaner tasting and clearer beer. Also, it's best not to keep opening it to test gravity. Just let it do it's thing. I wouldn't even bother checking until after at least two weeks, I check mine twice, once before I pitch, and once after ~3 weeks right before I keg.

Yup, you are right on track. Your batch probably won't drop much below that but give it at least 3 weeks in primary before bottling. This will lead to a cleaner tasting and clearer beer. Also, it's best not to keep opening it to test gravity. Just let it do it's thing. I wouldn't even bother checking until after at least two weeks, I check mine twice, once before I pitch, and once after ~3 weeks right before I keg.

I'm not too far off from that. I check the OG, then pitch the yeast. A few days after the fermentation dies down, but no sooner than a week, I take a reading. I then seal it back up for two more weeks and check to make sure I'm still reading the same as my last measurement before I keg.

Unfortunately, I dont know what I'm really doing so I didn't check the OG but defiantly will do on my second batch. But glad to hear I'm on my way. I haven't opened the bucket at all I ended up buying vinyl tube and stick it though the airlock and suck the brew to a container to check gravity. So I guess I'll give it a few weeks more.

Then once I bottle after 3 weeks in primary how long in the bottle till I'm ready to enjoy?

I follow the Revvy philosophy: 3 weeks at 70 degrees!!! It always works. Check one at a week or two if you are weak :))), but after 3 weeks for a normal ale you'll be fine.

3 weeks in the bottle should be good. If this is your first beer I would encourage you to sample a bottle at the 1 week and 2 week mark. It is educational to taste green beer.

brewanew said:
Unfortunately, I dont know what I'm really doing so I didn't check the OG but defiantly will do on my second batch. But glad to hear I'm on my way.

No worries. We all started not knowing. What counts is the finished product, having fun, and the finished product. ;).
Is you dont take gravity readings, you won't known how fast you'll be plastered. Lol.

Latest posts

Back