Beginner Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garageBrewer4

Reaction score
Just completed my first homebrew two days ago using a basic extract kit for wheat ale. I've seen post after post about guys worrying about if its fermenting or not and I know mine is. My question is, is it normal for there to be a layer of

image-3715600939.jpg

what looks like foam above the bottom of the Carboy? It seems like everyone else's all that yeast foam or whatever it is sits at the very bottom. Mines a few inches above the bottom. Probably no big deal just thought I'd ask! Thanks in advance!

Looks like yeast flocculating after they have done most of their work. The yeast will sit there and start cleanup work after all the easily fermentable sugars are used up.

Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Is it normal? Well, I've never seen a layer of yeast suspend itself off the bottom like that. My guess is that within a day or two, it will either disperse itself throughout, or settle to the bottom. Either way, life is good!

Back