Before I drill, thoughts on idea for fly sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
Ive coiled my copper for fly sparge build. I was going to start drilling when I thought about how to have adjustable stops to keep coil proper distance to wort depending on different grain amounts for recipes. This is my thought.
If I drill small holes on the TOP side of the coils instead of the drip method. This way I can just sit the coil on top of the grains and the sparge water would fill above the grain line and soak down. My main concern would be channeling where the coil touchs the grain.Has anyone tried this? How does it work? Any thoughts on pros/cons.

I would be concerned with it sinkng from the weight of the copper unless you have it suspended or something. How deep is your grain bed usually?

IMO, the whole sparge arm is a complete waste of time at this scale really. I just run a hose into a little cup that sits in the center of my grain bed. The cup overflows sending water to the sides instead of straight down (which would create a channel). Then just keep about 2-3" water on top of the bed during the sparge. Works great every time!

But, no, I don't think you are going to have a problem with your method as long as the copper doesn't sink down and you have a sufficient grain bed depth.

IMO, the whole sparge arm is a complete waste of time at this scale really.

+1

I just coil the outlet tube from the HLT above the grain bed, with a slow flow rate you won't get any channeling. I get 80% efficiency every time, unless I have a monster grain bill.

Back