Beet wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemasis

Reaction score
I planted extra beets for a few gallons of wine this year - I figure even if it tastes like crud, it will at least be a beautiful colour!

Does anybody have any experience they can share? Anyone tried a batch with pepper?

I have a recipe that was just given to me from my great grandmother. It describes it as tasting like a fine red, but I'm going to alter it a little, as it calls for "sprinkling a piece of stale bread with yeast(of the baking variety)" and floating it on top of the must in the crock.

I'm trying this when my beets are ready.

For some reason the color fades, I think you have to keep it acidic to keep the color for any period of time. We did like you did, grew a bunch of beets and made wine with them. It tasted like loamy soil and the color faded quickly. Not sure if we should have washed them more, thought we did a pretty good job, or if the acid levels were to low but it was not impressive at all but it was only 1 gal batch. WVMJ

My late grandmother made a beet wine that supposedly folks loved. I'll ask around the family for the recipe. I'm planning on making some this fall.

Mine is finally bottled! The color is outstanding, it smells fantastic, but tastes like dirt. Gonna shelf this one for 6 months and see what happens. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388330092.182523.jpg

Back