BeerTherm - A Temperature Control System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool, but $600 plus shipping for the ability to only handle one carboy at a time? Can you say chest freezer + STC-1000?

Simple to use, elegant control, compact. and affordable!

haha... its kinda not any of those things. 600 bones is not affordable in my book, the control is not elegant, actually looks like the inner workings of a james bond style ticking bomb. Bah!

I used a old dorm fridge and removed the door. Then built a little box around it out of that 2 inch thick pink insulation board. Hooked it up to my stc-1000 and now I regulate my temp for about about 50 bucks. I then spent the 550 on beer ingredients!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I agree. $600 is too much for something like this, but it is a cool idea for a DIY project.

Looks like this is based on peltier elements - they are woefully inefficient, especially in comparison to heat pumps, so I can imagine this would dent your energy bill to some degree as well.

I bought a new mini fridge and built a box on wheels out of OSB and pink foam for a hell of a lot less and mine holds five carboys. I can understand if someone doesn't want to go the DIY route but there have to be options that cost less than $600. If there's actually a market for these maybe I should start selling some for $500. :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

$600 to control the ambient temperature above the carboy? Holy WTF, there's a sucker born everyday! Let's look at this...

Pos pid on ebay- $20
2 switching relays- $20
Computer fan-$15?
Heater-$20?
Cooler- $50?
Other stuff-$50?

Let's call it $200 and three hours to get it done in a hacked looking manner like the one in the video. Don't forget the hot glue gun! Haha!

For $600I can buy a freezer, a pid,a thermowell that actually reaches INTO THE FERMENTING BEER, a heater, a couple relays, wires, etc. Give me a few hours to put it all together.

Although... my Johnson's controls with a heating pad taped to the carboy in a slightly cold ambient area keeps me@ +/- 0.5°f.

For $600 I'll build you a self contained system that incorporates a heat exchanger with coils built into the lining of the cooler.

I could give the creator some credit, maybe, if he was measuring the fermentation temp rather than the ambient air temp in the cooler. Or if he weren't whipping air into his almost boiling wort! Hot side airation is not as big a deal as previously thought, but this guy must be trying to prove that wrong.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back