BeerSmith2 hydro temp adjustment....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just thought i'd make mention, beersmith2 always seems to adjust my SG at 135f, 3 points higher for pre-boil reading, then i actually get a final OG of...

just got a urge to check it against something else Brewer's Friend, and it agree's that it corrects wrong.....

menutia, but i thought it worth noting for google or what not...

Hydrometer readings need to be temperature-corrected. There is a tool in Beersmith called Hydrometer Adjust that allows you to make these corrections. I'm not sure how it functions in Beersmith V2 (I'm using Beersmith 3), but perhaps there is a setting that is auto-correcting based on your 135° temp.

Having said that, the temp correction ought to be more substantial at 135° than 3 points at typical OG readings, so perhaps you're already doing that correction (or using a refractometer, in which case there are different corrections that need to be applied).

i was just saying my 1.040 at 138f in beersmith2 gives me 1.056, and brewer's friend gives me 1.053....and with my OG typicaly being 3 points less then what beersmith predicts with the pre-boil gravity.....i think brewer's friend is right and beersmith is wrong.....

Ah. FWIW, BeerSmith V3 has a Calibration temp setting that will put you at 1.055 if using 68° F. The BrewFather app matches BeerSmith if you're looking for strength in numbers...

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.31.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-21 at 12.32.49 PM.png

Back