BeerSmith. Water addition default to total volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenness

Reaction score
I've played around with the water tool and looked on the forums for this but haven't found an definitive answer.

When I add my water profile to a recipe it defaults to the batch size (5gal) instead of the total water used in the brew process (~8gal). I see in the bottom left corner that you can manually enter a different water volume but it would be nice if I could get it to automatically default to the exact total volume of water to be used in the brew day. Is there a setting option for this somewhere in BS? Thanks in advance!

I'm not postive I understand your question but will give it a go. I'm looking at a recipe in Beer Smith so our numbers won't necessarily be the same because of equipment, boil off rate, dead space etc.

On the recipe page:

Batch Size 5.0 gal Est boil Volume 7.22

Top of the Water Volumes page:

Total Water Needed: 10.22 gallons

Any help?

Thanks for responding Dan!

What I was trying to ask was about adding my water profile which is just a saved profile of my local tap water with a gypsum addition. The issue is that when add this water profile it scales down the volume and gypsum quantity to the batch size instead of the total volume of water used in the brew day.

This just may a question about my naivety of water chemistry regarding water loses rather than a beersmith setting question. I realize the minerals must stay in the water when boil off occurs but I imagine they remain in the mash with those water losses?

I re-thought the meaning of water water profile second time I read over the post and realized I was probably not answering your question. There are quite a few water chemistry threads might try restating your question in one of them if you don't get an answer on this one.

Latest posts

Back