Beersmith vs Grainfather Significantly Different Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkwing

Reaction score
I've been working up a recipe for a Guinness clone in both Beersmith and Grainfather. There are significant differences especially in the amount of hops to achieve target IBU and EBC. The batch size efficiency boil times etc. have all been set the same. I have even customized the grain to the same for what I have purchased. I have customized the hops to 5.6 alpha acid as is on the package. However I get the following results.

Beersmith:
OG 1.047 FG 1.014 ABV 4.3 IBU 45 EBC 97.3

Hops 49.7g

Grainfather:
OG 1.044 FG 1.010 ABV 4.4 IBU 45 EBC 77.8

Hops 57.2g

Which is correct? Am I missing some setting or value?

Even the salts to create the water profile are different. Unfortunately Grainfather also splits the salts between mash and sparge water. I have submitted a suggestion to combine them into the mash.

Have you checked attenuation on the yeast, ppg for the grain and efficiency? Perhaps the batch size is defined or set differently, into the kettle or fermenter-trub/chiller loss would play into this

I used Beersmith for years and recently switched to BrewFather and I love it. Try that one out

Thanks everyone. I discovered that the issue was the hops were entered in BeerSmith as being added in First Wort not Boil.

Now I'm trying to sort out the difference in color. Something in BeerSmith is making it incorrect.

Pretty closely. I was fiddling with the profile I created for my Grainfather S40 and it does change the values. Not sure exactly what some of the numbers should be for losses. I might have to update them after I figure them out. If anyone has a profile for an S40 please share.

Latest posts

Back