Beersmith User?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to setup my equipment profile for half batches (2.5 gallons). There is a good thread in here somewhere which give some good starting numbers for a 5 gallon batch. Can't figure out if I should cut everything in half or what. Might make sense for trub and beer lost at bottling but not sure about boil off rate. Argh...this BeerSmith.

Your losses will be based on your system. Brew a few batches and measure your losses at each step. Enter these losses into BS. All DIY brewing systems are different.

Setting up the profile is critical to using the software properly. Everyone should know their system abilities, no matter what software they use. Brad Smith is currently working on the next version and I anticipate some nice changes to the interface. I like the ability to tailor everything about BeerSmith to my equipment and style of brewing. Updating grains, hops and yeast is pretty simple, while updating water takes a bit of knowledge. I truly believe that this has made my brewing better.

I measured my equipment, did some basic calibration (boil off rates, etc.) and started from there. Once that all worked, just keep good records when you make beer and tweak it. E.g., if your efficiency was off and it's not other issues, modify that, if your volumes are off due to boil or grain soak, modify that, etc. It works quite well

Back