BeerSmith Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
How do I formulate a recipe if I know the percentage of a particular type of grain and the OG? For example I know Im brewing a 5 gallon batch and I have to have an OG of 1.066 but the recipe calls for %70 pale, %20 60L and %10 Munich; is there a way for me to punch in the percentage and get the actual grain bill?

Pretty simple if you start off with 7# pale, 2# 60L and 1# Munich... :D

Adjust the amounts, keeping the relationships as close as possible, until you get the OG you want... Usually, you don't try to hit the grain percentage dead on, since that can be very difficult IF you're targeting a specific OG... Even if you know your efficiency...

I altered that recipe, based on 75% efficiency, it comes out to
8.75# 2 row
2.5# 60L
1.25# Munich

Gives an OG of 1.067... Close enough IMO... It does give you the exact relationships you're looking for... If you hit 74% efficiency, you get the OG of 1.066...

Just takes a little fiddling to get things to line up...

Pretty simple if you start off with 7# pale, 2# 60L and 1# Munich... :D

Adjust the amounts, keeping the relationships as close as possible, until you get the OG you want... Usually, you don't try to hit the grain percentage dead on, since that can be very difficult IF you're targeting a specific OG... Even if you know your efficiency...

I altered that recipe, based on 75% efficiency, it comes out to
8.75# 2 row
2.5# 60L
1.25# Munich

Gives an OG of 1.067... Close enough IMO... It does give you the exact relationships you're looking for... If you hit 74% efficiency, you get the OG of 1.066...

Just takes a little fiddling to get things to line up...

Exactly, start with those rough amounts....then once you punch those numbers in, then if you look at the third row of buttons you can scale a recipe based on og or even ibu's. You click on that button, then choose the target og, and it will change to recipe to get you those number. It's how I was able to shift my 50 year barleywine to 1.150 OG and 150 IBus.

Beersmith1.jpg

It's the button called gravity. It's next to color, which iirc it does the same thing by srms....

Thats what Ive been doing. I was hoping there was an option were you could just punch in a percentage and a bill would appear. Thanks for the replies.

Back