Beersmith FG won't go down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
I stumbled upon white labs super high gravity yeast that can tolerate ABV up to 25%. For entertainment purposes I wanted to see what the grain bill/fermentables would look like in a 25% ABV beer on beersmith 3. Turns out around 35 pounds of grain and 20 lbs of table sugar will get you 6 gallons. The thing I can't figure out is I can't get the FG below 1.180. Even with a massive starter that number won't budge on beersmith. Can someone explain why that is?

I stumbled upon white labs super high gravity yeast that can tolerate ABV up to 25%. For entertainment purposes I wanted to see what the grain bill/fermentables would look like in a 25% ABV beer on beersmith 3. Turns out around 35 pounds of grain and 20 lbs of table sugar will get you 6 gallons. The thing I can't figure out is I can't get the FG below 1.180. Even with a massive starter that number won't budge on beersmith. Can someone explain why that is?

It would help if you could post the particulars, i.e. batch size, grain bill, mash time, mash length, yeast strain and OG.

BTW, starter size won't matter to any recipe calculator software that I'm aware of.

In BS3, go into the Yeast Ingredients list, find WLP099 and check what the tolerance number is. Chances are, it's incorrect.
1639532045915.png

If you change that to 25%, your FG should also change. Attenuation numbers are also wrong compared with the WLP site. Should be 80-100%.

In BS3, go into the Yeast Ingredients list, find WLP099 and check what the tolerance number is. Chances are, it's incorrect.
View attachment 752272

If you change that to 25%, your FG should also change. Attenuation numbers are also wrong compared with the WLP site. Should be 80-100%.

It wasn't right on mine either, changed it and got FG to 1.174...

It would help if you could post the particulars, i.e. batch size, grain bill, mash time, mash length, yeast strain and OG.

BTW, starter size won't matter to any recipe calculator software that I'm aware of.

Yeast was WLP099, 4 packs with a 5.13L starter with 17.35oz DME. Fermentables are Maris Otter 36 lbs, table sugar 20.1 lbs... Mash at 122F for 30 min, then 148F for 60 minutes, boil 60 min. Batch size 6 gallons, BH efficiency 80%, est. mash efficiency 87.6%. Estimated pre boil gravity 1.253, est. OG 1.336, and est. FG 1.174.

Yeast was WLP099, 4 packs with a 5.13L starter with 17.35oz DME. Fermentables are Maris Otter 36 lbs, table sugar 20.1 lbs... Mash at 122F for 30 min, then 148F for 60 minutes, boil 60 min. Batch size 6 gallons, BH efficiency 80%, est. mash efficiency 87.6%. Estimated pre boil gravity 1.253, est. OG 1.336, and est. FG 1.174.

not to be insulting, but WTF are you trying to make? 🤔

not to be insulting, but WTF are you trying to make? 🤔

Not trying to make it, was for entertainment purposes after I found out about the WLP 25% ABV strain.... wanted to see why I couldn't get FG down any further with the software no matter what I tried.

Not trying to make it, was for entertainment purposes after I found out about the WLP 25% ABV strain.... wanted to see why I couldn't get FG down any further with the software no matter what I tried.

LOL, 36lbs of malt in a 6 gallon batch is going to make it tough.....but if you're playing this video game on hard core..... ;)

edit: i'm thinking, if beersmith had a gluco calc.....you could get a bit lower...

Back