BeerSmith 2.2 Update Released 26 Nov 13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mpizzurro said:
Hey guys! Has anyone had issues downloading 2.2. Keeps telling me it can't connect to the server ?

Thanks for the help. I downloaded it off the main page and it worked.

Still won't account for recoverable deadspace in the mashtun. Sigh.

I wasn't able to find it, but are we still not able to change it to Mash Efficiency instead of Brewhouse Efficiency?

just updated. i like the estimated ibu calculations for steep/whirlpool but the sorting is off for me

it doesn't keep the steep additions in order by time, seems to sort by the name of the hop even thought all ingredients are sorted in order of addition

bs2.2.jpg

BIG responsiveness improvements from rev10 to rev12 - BIG (for me anyway).

I still have the slowish scrolling of the main recipe window, but it went from really sluggish to just slowish. It's about 2 seconds scrolling wait time instead of like 7-9 seconds. Startup is even quicker. Clicking between folders in 'My Recipes' is much more responsive as well. It "feels" much like I remember 2.1 feeling.

Still won't account for recoverable deadspace in the mashtun. Sigh.

Recoverable deadspace = less deadspace.

For instance, if you have 2 quarts of deadspace in your MLT, but you can "recover" 1 quart of that then you only have 1 quart of deadspace in your MLT. You would simply use 1 quart in your equipment profile Lauter Tun Deadspace.

Accounted for! :D

I wasn't able to find it, but are we still not able to change it to Mash Efficiency instead of Brewhouse Efficiency?

If you make your equipment profile losses ZERO then you'll be working with Mash Efficiency (as your Brewhouse Efficiency).

stpug,
Thank you for the reply but I'm not sure I want to do that as it will skew my other numbers. I see where it will give me exactly what I'm looking for, but at the cost of other incorrect readings. Hmmm....

stpug,
Thank you for the reply but I'm not sure I want to do that as it will skew my other numbers. I see where it will give me exactly what I'm looking for, but at the cost of other incorrect readings. Hmmm....

I just read a post today asking about "slackspace" which is a serious consideration I haven't come across yet but should be addressed since I can see it affecting many people. Is this what you're up against?

Link : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/slackspace-beersmith-446352/

Recoverable deadspace = less deadspace.

For instance, if you have 2 quarts of deadspace in your MLT, but you can "recover" 1 quart of that then you only have 1 quart of deadspace in your MLT. You would simply use 1 quart in your equipment profile Lauter Tun Deadspace.

Accounted for! :D

No, it's not that simple, I have a gallon and recover all of it. It makes the strike temps and grain ratio screwy.

I just read a post today asking about "slackspace" which is a serious consideration I haven't come across yet but should be addressed since I can see it affecting many people. Is this what you're up against?

Link : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/slackspace-beersmith-446352/

No, that isn't my situation. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to have BeerSmith tell me what my Mash Efficiency is and let me manipulate it. For example if a certain recipe came up with 60% Mash Efficiency and I wanted to have 70%, I could change 60 to 70 in it's box and then it would automatically change everything else in the recipe for me. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

No, it's not that simple, I have a gallon and recover all of it. It makes the strike temps and grain ratio screwy.

Are you dealing with the slack space issue mentioned in my previous reply then? If so, it sounds like there's no robust way of dealing with the issue at the present time than to simply "remember" to add your slack space addition to mash, and "remember" to subtract it from your sparge volume.

No, that isn't my situation. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to have BeerSmith tell me what my Mash Efficiency is and let me manipulate it. For example if a certain recipe came up with 60% Mash Efficiency and I wanted to have 70%, I could change 60 to 70 in it's box and then it would automatically change everything else in the recipe for me. Maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

Not as simple as you'd hope for but you should be able to make your mash efficiency your brewhouse by removing your losses (BK for sure, and maybe also MLT).

You can then formulate your recipe at 60% brewhouse efficiency (i.e. mash eff at this point). If you then change your eff to 70, you can see what your estimated OG slider changes to. Now go back to 60 eff, click on the slider, and change the gravity to what 70 eff indicated, hit okay, and the recipe should adjust including hops. It's a clunky way of accomplishing the task - if I understand your needs correctly.

Are you dealing with the slack space issue mentioned in my previous reply then? If so, it sounds like there's no robust way of dealing with the issue at the present time than to simply "remember" to add your slack space addition to mash, and "remember" to subtract it from your sparge volume.

Yep. Right now I just adjust my water/grain ratio up to around 1.7 to account for it. It seems to work but I wish there was just an option to edit the mash/sparge volumes directly.

stpug said:
Not as simple as you'd hope for but you should be able to make your mash efficiency your brewhouse by removing your losses (BK for sure, and maybe also MLT). You can then formulate your recipe at 60% brewhouse efficiency (i.e. mash eff at this point). If you then change your eff to 70, you can see what your estimated OG slider changes to. Now go back to 60 eff, click on the slider, and change the gravity to what 70 eff indicated, hit okay, and the recipe should adjust including hops. It's a clunky way of accomplishing the task - if I understand your needs correctly.
That sounds like it might work for me. I'll try it out and let you know. Thanks for your help.

I upgraded my mash tun to a HERMS. So the dead space I had before I could put in zero for that now anyways, right?

Back