Beer's a little sweet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob90

Reaction score
Just cracked open a bottle of my Dark Ale. Has a great head, nice color but it's more sweet than I would have guessed. It's a Coopers Australian Dark Ale kit so I basically boiled water to make it; I didn't add anything extra. Is that how all kit beers are or did I do something to give it that extra sweetness? Because my first beer was also a kit beer (an IPA) and it too was a bit sweet.

Haven't checked the FG, I did kinda rush it though. I wanted it ready for the Super Bowl so instead of 6 weeks, I let it sit for 5. Maybe that other week in the secondary fermenter would have done some good?

Did you use dry yeast? I used dry yeast for my last batch, my FG was @ 1.020 and it should have been 1.010. It was sweet, but still drinkable.

No I mixed the yeast that came with the kit with warm water like it instructed. That's what I was thinking too though, maybe it was the yeast? Like I said, my other kit beer was the same way; drinkable by all means, I'm not disappointed at all, just curious about that little bit of sweetness. Maybe if it sat in that carboy for another week it would ferment some more of those sugars out?

Back