Beerland TV show on Viceland Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bford

Reaction score
I just read about this show.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/golden-road-co-founder-star-new-viceland-series

First thought: Cool! A short series based around Homebrewing!

Second thought: Ugh. They hired the lady who sold Golden Road to InBev to be the host. That isn't very homebrewing like...

Anyway, I'll probably give it a shot. It is supposed to premier in April though I haven't found the date yet.

Third Thought: Wow. That seems to be the most Hipster network ever, looking at their other lists of shows. Doubt I'll be tuning in for any other shows there.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/beerland

It starts the 27th I believe.

Also I am a fan of this network and I am not a hipster. Unless being a bald 41 year old father of two is hip. There is some very unique programming on this channel and their news website has content you won't see anywhere else.

I like a bit of the programming on the network
the Pizza show is kewl
One of the pot shows is not a stoners fantasy and is cool most of the pot shows are junk

I liked the show brew dogs while it was still running.

I would love a show about homebrewing, but agree, not hosted by somebody who went pro then sold to BMC.

It starts the 27th I believe.

Also I am a fan of this network and I am not a hipster. Unless being a bald 41 year old father of two is hip. There is some very unique programming on this channel and their news website has content you won't see anywhere else.

No worries. Of course I think having a couple of kids makes you pretty cool as I have two myself.

I've gone through a few of their shows using the on demand abilities of my cable... the two or three I've watched all seemed a bit dumb or pushy with their message. Those are two of the reasons I don't watch any of the major news newtworks..ha!

I'll give a couple of others shows a look.

I added this show to my DVR just incase I forget or just don't get too it on release day. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Dont know if anyone watchef this but the brewery (golden road) that is doing this contest is part of inbev. It was pretty good. I dont see how she can drink 2 beers and say they are the best homebrewer in Arizona or new mexico. I cant remeber which it was.

Be forewarned... if you are into homebrew then you might be very disappointed in the first episode. Also, while you spend your time "enjoying" the show, remember that Golden Road sold to inbev and the show is also sponsored by NorhterBrewer.. owned by inbev. if you find yourself getting pissed about the true content check out FB ... lookup the New Mexico homebrews who said they did not want to participate because of the InBev links...

Hope it get much better and real!!

also ... this is not a new idea for her... 2014 ... https://youtu.be/DgxxlaovP-s

I thought the first episode was mediocre at best. Seemed really ...... forced. Not a lot of energy. Seemed sort of contrived. I will likely watch a couple more episodes for sure to see if it gets better. For perspective, I thought the Dogfish Head show was 10X better.

I thought the first episode was mediocre at best. Seemed really ...... forced. Not a lot of energy. Seemed sort of contrived. I will likely watch a couple more episodes for sure to see if it gets better. For perspective, I thought the Dogfish Head show was 10X better.

Same here, so far the only worse beer related TV show I've watched was Barley Brew Rebellions. (About Brew Rebellion)

I thought the first episode was terrible... I don't care about your ranch, or your hipster art collective, or your off the grid grunge concert. I wanted to watch for the beer, which there was very little of. I guess I'll give it one more shot to impress before I write it off. :(

I thought the first episode was terrible... I don't care about your ranch, or your hipster art collective, or your off the grid grunge concert. I wanted to watch for the beer, which there was very little of. I guess I'll give it one more shot to impress before I write it off. :(

Yeah - there was virtually no real "brewing"...... just kind of:

"Here are some unique people, look at me hang out with these unique people.... I will drink one of your beers.....I like yours better than his.... the end."

Yeah - there was virtually no real "brewing"...... just kind of:

"Here are some unique people, look at me hang out with these unique people.... I will drink one of your beers.....I like yours better than his.... the end."

so you take a mega media company and have them film a program using the current trends in fake reality tv, such as never go to commercial break without a cliff hanger, and you wonder why it has nothing to do with the subject?

such as those current whatever hunter show: and we chose ...... commercial
WTF cares what house you bought.
how does that translate to beer making? .... so we added the hops..... commercial
not the cliff hanger they want
they need : okay lets do a cold break, WTF is that junk in the bottom......commercial
but then that would only work once and what to do next week

so you take a mega media company and have them film a program using the current trends in fake reality tv, such as never go to commercial break without a cliff hanger, and you wonder why it has nothing to do with the subject?

such as those current whatever hunter show: and we chose ...... commercial
WTF cares what house you bought.
how does that translate to beer making? .... so we added the hops..... commercial
not the cliff hanger they want
they need : okay lets do a cold break, WTF is that junk in the bottom......commercial
but then that would only work once and what to do next week

Ha.... yeah... kind of like that - but without the excruciating excitement of where that last rose is going:D The host honestly could not really come off as any less excited about what she is doing.

I think they should have went all "Iron Chef" - 1 or 2 home brewers go up against one of 4 or 5 professional industry icons each week. Throw in a couple "mid-brew" surprises of new things they need to incorporate into their brew. Secret ingredient/style - unveil ... you have 3 hours to get your beer chilled and yeast pitched.:mug:

Ha.... yeah... kind of like that - but without the excruciating excitement of where that last rose is going:D The host honestly could not really come off as any less excited about what she is doing.

I think they should have went all "Iron Chef" - 1 or 2 home brewers go up against one of 4 or 5 professional industry icons each week. Throw in a couple "mid-brew" surprises of new things they need to incorporate into their brew. Secret ingredient/style - unveil ... you have 3 hours to get your beer chilled and yeast pitched.:mug:

I'd watch it...

Vice Rocks!

Loved Beerland, eps 1 and 2 so far. The gal that hosts seems to have a solid pallet and seeing the different beer cultures keeps things interesting.

As a new brewer and not yet a brew snob I thought the show was good. If I wanted just strict details on brewing, we got this forum and YouTube.

I'll keep watching it.

Episode 1L At the very least, it got me curious about the New Mexican hops.

I kinda of liked how she tore apart that beer for being hazy and not in line with the style (too malty). Totally contradicted the notion of a cold dry beer to quench a hot day's thirst. It was awkward for me watching as I don't think the guy understood what she was really telling him.

It may very well have been a good beer - but not what he was attempting to make. Too funny.

edit note: seems optimum cable fixed the access and has shut me out since my plan doesn't include Viceland

I kinda of liked how she tore apart that beer for being hazy and not in line with the style (too malty).

Yeah I picked up on that, she kinda tore up the NeoMex guy too. I stuck around to watch episode 2 because she wasn't too hard on the eyes. Turned into more of a hipster society sucks kinda vibe, but that's VICE for ya. FWIW My favorite show on the network is Dead Set On Life.

Watched both episodes....meh. Like others have said, Meg isn't very engaging and doesn't seem all the excited to be doing what she is doing. It could be that she is new to this and is just trying to get comfortable in front of the camera or that is just her.

Either way, if it continues as is, I'm out. Plus, I feel a little dirty knowing that the show is sponsored by AB.

Edit: But it was funny as hell that the one dude didn't get that his beer was supposed to be clear...."I should be able to see you through this beer"....

I found the second episode more interesting than the first. Meg seems fairly laid back. Probably could have found someone more enthusiastic and engaging. I'll continue to watch for a while.

Sadly, probably my least favorite show on viceland. So much gold on than channel though.

It was very hard to watch. I watched both episodes yesterday and Meg is painfully awkward. She just stares at people, and doesn't say much. Not to mention, very little beer talk is done. I didn't even know it was a competition until the end and i was like "wait, these are supposedly the best in all of _____ state?
The show is very haphazardly put together. The host is awkward, not engaging, and gives off the appearance that she couldn't give 2 ****s about beer. I even had to google her because they said she was a part of golden road. I just thought she was some bartender because she didn't give off the appearance that she knew very much about beer. Especially the "this pilsner is cloudy and it shouldn't be".... it's homebrew, you idiot, he doesn't give a **** what you think his beer should taste like. That's not what homebrewing is about.

Especially the "this pilsner is cloudy and it shouldn't be".... it's homebrew, you idiot, he doesn't give a **** what you think his beer should taste like. That's not what homebrewing is about.

That may not be what you think HomeBrewing is about, but it IS what the show is about. It's a competition and you are on the show to be judged.

Could someone upload it or something? I cant watch since i dont live in US :-(

It's not for me, too hipster-ish. They never even show any of the brewers setups. They probably use hop extract kits on their stovetop (not that there's anything wrong with that)

.......I think they should have went all "Iron Chef" - 1 or 2 home brewers go up against one of 4 or 5 professional industry icons each week. Throw in a couple "mid-brew" surprises of new things they need to incorporate into their brew. Secret ingredient/style - unveil ... you have 3 hours to get your beer chilled and yeast pitched.:mug:

I can get behind that! American Iron Brewmaster (or something).

"But there's one more ingredient to our battle....our secret ingredient! The theme on which our brewers will offer their succulent libation. Today's secret ingredient is"......(music gets more intense)

(with heavy Japanese dialect....)

"EL DORADO!!!!"

"So now America, with an open heart and sober liver, I say unto you in the words of my uncle...."

(looks left to the pro brewer, intensely....then right to the home brewer, same intensity while music keeps building in intensity....)

"SOMETHING LOUD IN JAPANESE THAT MEANS "GO BREW!" (<-----Obviously, I do not know the Japanese translation for "Go Brew")

Put Alton Brown as the host, and I'd be all over that! :ban:

Watched both episodes, I have to agree with the comments about the host. She seems like the total opposite of what homebrewers are like.
Every homebrewer I've met is friendly and loves talking beer. She looks like AB InBev made be there and she's some disgruntled employee.
I also find it weird that a person who made comments that might upset some homebrewers hosting a show/competition to brew their beer at the brewery. Below is quote from an interview she did a while ago.

Meg has a compelling perspective on what's next for the craft definition. For her, the definition should really be about "protecting the quality" so homebrewers "can't brew a bunch of sh*t in their bathtub and call it craft."

Here's a link to the article if anyone wants to read it.
https://www.beernet.com/publications_daily.php?id=3579

I guess I need to use my bathtub for something other than making beer.....now if I can just figure out what.... :mug:

Edit: BTW, never use my bathtub for anything beer related.

She is just pure corporate shill. She comes off as caring about getting as rich as possible over making the best beer as possible.. and then profiting from that.

I can get behind that! American Iron Brewmaster (or something).

I tweeted this out to @altonbrown

Will be interesting if he responds. :mug:

I made sure to point him to your post, so as not to take credit for someone else's idea.

Back