BeerJSON (BeerXML 2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superroma6f29

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at this tread I learned that there is a lack of modern brewing data exchange standard.

BeerXML 1.0 is popular, but limited. BrewXML 2.0 never really got off the ground.

We decided to do something about it. These days JSON is more popupar as a data medium than XML. So BeerJSON it is.

Introducing https://github.com/beerjson/beerjson

Instead of creating formal standard board, we propose to do this in a github repo.
Schema defined as JSON Schema, different standard versions are in different branches.
Change proposals are pull requests. Issues can be reported. There is a gitter chatroom

Current state:
We have converted BeerXML 2.01 as described in PDF here to
JSON Schema definition, wrote some tests and created CI workflow that runs tests automatically.
Obviously there are errors, to be useful it needs to be tested on different data samples and with different JSON serializers.

We invite everyone interested to test it, report issues, and join the working group if you want to do any changes.

Awesome roma, I'm glad you guys took this up as it was very much needed. Have you posted it on r/homebrewing, and contacted any of the original beerxml contributors or the major software programs (BS,BF, Brewtoad, brewtarget, etc).

I'll make some comments when I next have a day off work!

Yes, i've announced it on reddit, have some issues and PRs already.
I did not approached original contributors yet, not sure if it is ok to do this - last BeerXML draft was done 10 years ago. And I did not found their email address, forum is dead.
We will approach active software vendors,

Back