BeerAlchemy 2 - BIAB - is it worth it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
I have attempted to google these things. But I cant find specific answers for these questions and software version combination.

I currently use ibrewmaster. I have started the beeralchemy trial though. I plan on using the two together ( guess thats another topic!).

A few questions before I pull the trigger on getting the full version. I feel like I am doing something stupid. . . And missing a whole section in the software or something.

Can I not set up evaporation as a percent? I have to TELL IT what my starting volume is? I cant get the software to work out what pre boil volume is based on boil % time and desired post boil volume? Ie, I know my kettle looses 14% a hr. . . . I cant put this into the equipment profile? And then work from that ?

Can I change the grain absorption value? I cant even find this! What value is it working off to give me a strike water volume to hit my pre boil volume?

Cheers team :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Evaporation isn't a %. It's a function of boil intensity, and surface area. Boil 8 gallons in a 9 gallon pot at the same intensity as 3 gallons in the same 9 gallon pot and it'll be the same boil off rate (gal/hr) but not the same %. Ie 1 gal/hr in 8 gal is 12.5% but 1/3 is 33.3%'

If you're looking for water calculation I made one in my link based on the one at biabbrewing. Can adjust grain absorption, as well as a lot of other variables. Still can't do % boil off cuz it is nonsensical.

Yes I understand what you mean.

My point is i know my gear so I know what my %/hr or L/hr boil off is. With the same equipment surface area is going to be consistent, and I would like to think my boil vigour is relatively consistent. With this in mind you can then work out a average percentage of wort boiled off per hr. Or a average volume boiled off per hr.

The software I have now allows me to put boil off in as either a percent/hr , or a L/Hr. If I then decide I want to boil for 90 for example it automatically adjusts.

My question here is does beer alchemy allow for this? Because I cant find it. As far as I can tell you need to just tell beeralchemy all of your volumes. Is this true?

BeerAlchemy has a limited equipment toolkit. I use a custom excel spreadsheet for calculating equipment variables.

With that said, the math is really very simple if you know your average boil off rate and average grain absorption.

I'll also repeat that thinking of boiloff as a percentage makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure where it arose, but it's wrong and your software is wrong for giving that option. Boiloff is directly proportional to how much heat you're putting into the wort (the kettle diameter is indirectly related if you're using a gas burner...in that case the larger the diameter the greater the heat absorption on the bottom). All else being the same, the rate is constant and doesn't change based on the volume of liquid (i.e. not a percentage). So once you know your rate, you know your rate. Just multiply by the boil length to get your boiloff volume.

Yes I understand what you mean.

My point is i know my gear so I know what my %/hr or L/hr boil off is. With the same equipment surface area is going to be consistent, and I would like to think my boil vigour is relatively consistent. With this in mind you can then work out a average percentage of wort boiled off per hr. Or a average volume boiled off per hr.

The software I have now allows me to put boil off in as either a percent/hr , or a L/Hr. If I then decide I want to boil for 90 for example it automatically adjusts.

My question here is does beer alchemy allow for this? Because I cant find it. As far as I can tell you need to just tell beeralchemy all of your volumes. Is this true?

Yeah see your point, percentage is only going to be the same under the same conditions. Cheers guys, so I'm assuming thats a no on changing the grain absorption?

Back