beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
just cooked up my 3rd batch yesterday and i think iv got it this time but there is still something thats bothering me, when mashing the grains (all grain) is it better to get the water to the temp and wrap the pot to keep the water at the temp for the given time or as ive been doing it keep it on the stove and heat up turn off heat up turn off to keep the temp around the given temp.
my 1st batch was bottled last week and it went wrong when making but came out drinkable except when i opened the bottle it kicked uplike a lava lamp, (only fermented once) so had crap in the bottom of bottles, and also it went off like champaign when i opened it, i hope the next one is not the same as i fermented twice to lose the crap at the bottom. i drank most of the 1st batch the other day, and jesus i feel sorry for the woman that cleans the toilet haha

If your bottles are blowing up when you open them. Then you are doing something wrong. Either you are adding too much priming sugar at bottling, havent given your beer enough time to ferment during primary fermentation, or you haven't sanitized your equipment well enough and you are getting infections in your beer. What is your process when your brewing?

I'd watch out for bottle bombs. If you have that much carbing in < a week (as started above) there is something wrong and too much fermentation going on in a sealed bottle.
Be sure fermentation is over and try not to be in a rush. You'll find many/most won't touch the primary for 3+ weeks (some longer). If you are using a hydrometer to measure gravity, make sure it is not moving for a few days before bottling...usually 3 weeks is good unless it's a really big beer. Either way 3 weeks will never hurt as long as you have a good air-lock.

Good luck and enjoy :)

thank you, that 1st brew i did was a total **** up anyway i did so many things wrong could be anyone of them, the new one is ferrmenting well but the lock is not moving, i can justsmell the fermentation, if the lock is not moving it means air is escaping somehow, if air is escaping then maybe air can get in and ruin it no???

yeah mate you need a tight seal, otherwise there would be no need for an airlock. Good to hear you are getting straight into it and not doing the kit>extract>partial>AG approach but I would recommend doing a fair bit of research. Also from experience (and Im also a thirsty brewer) you will have to wait two weeks (meaning ten days) before you can let impatience get the better of you and try the beer. The fermentation must be complete before bottling as well most importantly otherwise you end up with all your beer on the ceiling. Good luck with your brewing though and enjoy the learning, from the sounds of it you are keen for a challenge and it will only be a couple of months before you are enjoying a perfect brew reminiscing on past lessons :D

forget that, the smell came then the bubbling started and now the whole of downstairds smells, im living with mygf parents and they wont be happy,haha **** em i say

Back