Beer Wussies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blulakr

Reaction score
So I'm eager to share my newfound homebrew hobby with friends. Much of the pleasure I'll get from brewing will be to share my product with others. I have the perfect opportunity in about 6 weeks. The problem is that the majority of folks I know just don't care for anything bigger than a wheat or very mild pale ale. I call them beer wussies. Thusly I have comprimised my personal tastes to accomodate them with my current batches of honey wheat and raspberry wheat.

I would prefer to brew something closer to an IPA or at least an amber.

Has anyone else had this dilemma? How did you deal with it?

I tell them what I have on tap. If they want to try a 3 oz. sample they're welcome. If they pitch an entire pint, I hurt them and they're cut off. :D

Brew lots of beers and have them all ready to serve. Then...get your friends over and have a "sampling" session.

Part of getting people to accept a new beer is to understand the new beer.

Turn it into a beer snob education event and serve everything in small sampling glasses.

Baby steps....take baby steps.

I took a cream ale and a clone of DFH India brown to a super bowl party.

The BMC guys loved the cream ale. The beer geeks loved the IBA clone. Everyone was happy, and I got good feedback on my beer.

I try to appease, but will end up making sure I have beer around that meets my desires. I pay for the grain, I brew the beer, I clean up the mess. that means I decide what goes on tap.

Not that I keg, or anything. But I think I'd always keep at least one keg of "me" beer on tap. Then bottle the rest of the "me" beer. Leave some taps open for the everyday quaffables. The pale ales, the hefes, the blondes, the irish stouts/porters, the brown ales, etc. Definite crowd pleasers with daily enjoyment potential as well.

I pay for the grain, I brew the beer, I clean up the mess. that means I decide what goes on tap.

Well said. I still have 6 weeks until the party. I'll try a batch of IPA for those who will appreciate it.

BTW, I'm not a beer snob. Just look at all the Bud cans in my recycling barrel. :drunk:

Back